John Deere X300 PTO Bearing Replacement and installation

Jccds

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere X300 PTO Bearing Replacement and installation
I replaced the bearings in my X300 but having an issue getting the PTO back onto the shaft. I have verified that the right bearing was used but it is so tight I can‘t get the PTO on the shaft. Any suggestions?

Jccds

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark, do you know what is an acceptable tolerance for the fit.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
As bertsmobile1 posted you should be able to install by using hands, a snug fit. Make sure crankshaft is rust free & super clean. You may need to use a fine grit emery cloth to dress up crank. Antiseize compound on crankshaft will also help & keep from seizing. Remember to install key & torque mount bolt to specs.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've purchased bearings from a auto supply but returned for the same reason. They took them down to a bearing supply to replace those with the correct measurement. 60 mile round trips aren't much fun to return 2 bearings. More invested in gasoline and time than the bearings cost. If ordered on line it can be more frustration.

Those that are press fit on the OD I adjust with the bench grinder to push fit to avoid un-necessary side thrust which can ruin a ball bearing in short order.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There are two different 6205-2RS bearings ID spec wise. And .0157" does make a world of difference. Most likely the OP install the more common one because they both use the same rubber coated seals.

I driving down the road drunk so get out my way but I just got to have another bottle of Jack before lunch.