John Deere Project

jrfsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have restored an old JD riding mower. It lived in Florida on a horse ranch since the 1980's. Blades worn down to about 9 inches from working in the sand mowing a pasture. The deck had holes worn in it. I was surprised when it came to checking the engine, a 12hp Kubota. A new spark plug (it had an incorrect plug) filters and it ran with no smoke and remarkable power. I bought a mig welder and began learning how to weld while patching the deck. After a paint job it looks, runs, and cuts grass quite well.
Only problem remaining is getting the governor to work properly. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Mark1

Threads
don't worry about getting your governor to work properly.our gov.here in New York hasen't worked properly and all we hear about is corruption. Your State is not alone!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have restored an old JD riding mower... 12hp Kubota.

Is it a Kubota or a Kohler engine?
I have seen lots of Kohler engines on JD's can't recall any Kubotas on them... :smile:KennyV
PS ... WELCOME to a very fun and friendly forum:thumbsup:...

noma

Threads
Hi Jrfsr

Also welcome aboard, it's a fun learning and social gathering here. Hope to hear a lot more from you :thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have restored an old JD riding mower. It lived in Florida on a horse ranch since the 1980's. Blades worn down to about 9 inches from working in the sand mowing a pasture. The deck had holes worn in it. I was surprised when it came to checking the engine, a 12hp Kubota. A new spark plug (it had an incorrect plug) filters and it ran with no smoke and remarkable power. I bought a mig welder and began learning how to weld while patching the deck. After a paint job it looks, runs, and cuts grass quite well.
Only problem remaining is getting the governor to work properly. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Please post a photo of your mower.

What part of Georgia are you from?