John Deere LX 279 transmission problem

Lukas1986

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I’m new in that forum.
I do need a help.
I bought a second hand John Deere LX279 ( I don’t know the history of the mower ). Engine start and runs sweet. The problem is: when you press forward pedal the tractor goes very fast backwards, and when you press reverse goes slow forward, and also the neutral gear get stuck, you can’t push the tractor manually, I know you have to pull out the metal rod behind the tractor but still won’t move. The oil level is ok, the drive belt looks good to me is not twisted. I’ve also check the axle wheel nut which goes in to the wheels are in place. Can you help me or give some advice please. Thank you so much

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At a rough guess 2 things come to mind
1) the previous owner has installed the belt wrong & the input pulley is turning backwards
2) considering the mower dates from 1999 to 2005 there is a good chance the trans failed & got replaced with a wrong one.
Go to the JD web page & search for you parts diagrams.
You can not download the entire manual in one hit but you can print individual pages .
Most print rivers have an option to "save as a PDF " so you can save the page on your computer
Look for some thing like a Bell crank ( boomerang shaped lever ) that reverses the direction the control rod travels.
I have not checked but on some JD's there is 2 rods a forward & reverse one that can be swapped over during reassembly