John Deere LA135 (LAWN TRACTOR MOWER)

It will depend upon the strength of the magnets, the distance the coil is from the magnets, the resistance in the spark plug ( thus the gap ) and the condition of the plug & HT wire.

Now if you have a problem list it plus the engine maker & numbers & we will see if we can help you fix your mower
 
It will depend upon the strength of the magnets, the distance the coil is from the magnets, the resistance in the spark plug ( thus the gap ) and the condition of the plug & HT wire.

Now if you have a problem list it plus the engine maker & numbers & we will see if we can help you fix your mower
ranke

Thanks for the reply.......
I cranked the engine with an electric drill & 32mm socket (plugs out!) and obtained a healthy spark at both plugs..... I then removed the starter & sure enough, it was well below speed due to to two of the brushes being stuck in their holders, one +ve side , the other on the-ve side.... due to overheating of the plastic brush holder, so assuming that is the cause of "low cranking speed".
I was a bit mistified as the speed seemed adequate, but on the other hand, this is a two cylinder B&S ....I am more familiar with the single pot B&S models.
Now the owner is shocked at the quoted replacement price!
Cheers.
Steve.
 
ranke

Thanks for the reply.......
I cranked the engine with an electric drill & 32mm socket (plugs out!) and obtained a healthy spark at both plugs..... I then removed the starter & sure enough, it was well below speed due to to two of the brushes being stuck in their holders, one +ve side , the other on the-ve side.... due to overheating of the plastic brush holder, so assuming that is the cause of "low cranking speed".
I was a bit mistified as the speed seemed adequate, but on the other hand, this is a two cylinder B&S ....I am more familiar with the single pot B&S models.
Now the owner is shocked at the quoted replacement price!
Cheers.
Steve.

Most of the B & S starters have replacement brush sets available.
If Briggs don't list them then Rotary , Oregon, Stens, Prime Line will.
I got mine from Prime Line when they were closing down in Aus.

If the brush holder is distorted then the owner is cranking for too long so there is a problem elsewhere.
 
Back
Top