John Deere L130 keeps blowing pto switch

Vteezee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I am new to this forum and kind of green when it comes to repairing mowers. I have an L130. My PTO switch just went out again after having only gotten a couple hours use out of it. It was brand new and I replaced it only after I checked the PTO which read 3.9 with an ohm meter. With the switch on the clutch does click (not all that loudly) so I assume the electro magnet is working right but I cant figure out why my new switch stopped working so fast. Could it be the clutch is going bad and causing the switch to burn up? The mower itself does turn on and off properly and the safety switch does seem to work when you get off the seat. Prior to this debacle the main fuse did burn out and I replaced it. Could both of these be a sign of one electrical issue? Thanks,

Vteezee :confused2:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Carefully check all of the wiring from the clutch to the switch.
Good chance there is a chaffed wires there shorting out.
However usually the PTO is fused through the ignition switch.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your reading of 3.9 ohms is high and is outside the normal range of 2.4-3.4 ohms. I has been my experience that the pto clutch will get intermittent shorts when warm before going out on the L130. The thing is on that model it seems to use the pto switch as a fuse for the clutch. Clutch shorts and fries pto switch. I to would consider replacing the clutch after checking for bad wires.

It seems the clutch will go out on that model about every 250 hours or less. Have a customer with 750 hours on her mower and is on the 4th clutch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good to know.
So it would be a worthwhile mod slippig a 5A fuse into the PTO Line.
Is this confined to the 130 or common to the whole 100 line with electric PTO's ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good to know.
So it would be a worthwhile mod slippig a 5A fuse into the PTO Line.
Is this confined to the 130 or common to the whole 100 line with electric PTO's ?

I have just seen it on the L130. I think the L120 has the same clutch but never saw a problem with that one. Something in the 5 to 7.5 amp range may not be a bad idea.

Vteezee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome guys. Thanks. I was hoping to not have to go for the clutch but I think that's what it might be. I really appreciate yalls advice. ::Raising coffee cup to you::

Vteezee:thumbsup:

Vteezee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok Bought new clutch and another switch and installing in a few minutes. I also picked up a fuse holder to try the mod you suggested bertsmobile1. Should I install in the wires just before the clutch or as they come out of the switch. To the clutch has 2 blacks to one terminal and a yellow to the other. Out of the switch its two yellows / one yellow. Anybody have a wiring diagram for this mower?

Vteezee