John Deere GT 235

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am somewhat the same as Illengine.
I get really good prices on Kawasaki engines & push the customer towards the replacement particularly as Kawasaki is giving 3 year waranties.
I offer a "trade in" on their old engine which is about 1/2 the difference between the RRP & the actual price of the engine and that pushes most into the new motor deal.
the old engines are either rebuilt when there is nothing happening so my labour is effectivly $ 0 or stripped for parts & scrap

D

Deleted member 97405

Got a question for you will1988. Had a customer bring me a GT225 with a Kohler CV15 on it with lots of hours. Smoking and low on compression. He asked 2 different Deere dealers if they would look at it. Both told him they didn't do engine work on mowers. They both said that they would replace the motor for around 2k. I did a full rebuild on it, piston and rings, valves, hone cylinder, rebuild carb. Runs like new. I know both dealerships charge $98/hr labor rate and swapping engines would probably be a wash dollar wise. Funny thing is both dealerships told him they would not warranty the engine work even if they did it. Is this standard procedure for Deere dealerships? Another non Deere dealer told him they would only put a new engine on because they didn't have anybody who could rebuild an engine. Just curious
Thanks
Sorry for my slow response. I haven't been on in a few weeks. Usually dealerships will stand behind their work (i.e. if a failure occurs due to something not put together right), but parts are usually only a 90 day warranty. And having someone who can reliably rebuild engines is getting more rare everyday, especially with small engines. That is simply because the cost to replace the engine versus rebuilding it is usually a wash. In the 22 years I have been in the dealership, I have only rebuilt 1 engine. That was on an old 110 that someone was restoring.