John Deere engine wont start

Rob1977

Member
I have a John Deere ride on mower, model 0115A. I was using the mower in November, and it quit running. I tried restarting it and it would run for maybe 20 seconds then die. Now it won't even start at all, I just hear the starter motor trying to start the engine but it wont fire up. My knowledge is limited. I replaced the spark plug, fuel filter and Air filter. I see fuel in the fuel filter so im guessing no blockage, at least to that section. When I try to start the mower it just turns over but wont start the engine, the battery then dies from trying to crank the engine. Im not sure what else to check. I know nothing about carburetor's or checking circuits etc, just the basics.
 
That is not valid either. As I said post the complete serial number then I can usually look up the mower JD Parts site.
 
I'd say take it in to the shop, or buy a service manual and go thru the troubleshooting steps. You can buy a can of Berryman's B12 carb cleaner, and spray a long 1 second burst on the air cleaner, try cranking it and see if it momentarially fires. If it does then the problem is fuel related.
 
I get tire of people acting like we are trying the steal their mowers. Even if it is stolen we have no way knowing or want to know. We just need the serial for parts look-up when there a question as which exact model. JD for one allows us to do this and OEMs do make changes at certain serial breaks due to changes in manufacturing processes.

But as the OP said he knows nothing about the equipment.

And as SG suggested buy the service manual but the there is problem there, you need to still have to have the correct model number. And these manuals are not cheap for a hand full of repairs; unless, you have sources other than JD themselves. Other than that carry the mower to a qualified repair shop and not Joe down street that is playing repairman.
 
I get tire of people acting like we are trying the steal their mowers. Even if it is stolen we have no way knowing or want to know. We just need the serial for parts look-up when there a question as which exact model. JD for one allows us to do this and OEMs do make changes at certain serial breaks due to changes in manufacturing processes.

But as the OP said he knows nothing about the equipment.

And as SG suggested buy the service manual but the there is problem there, you need to still have to have the correct model number. And these manuals are not cheap for a hand full of repairs; unless, you have sources other than JD themselves. Other than that carry the mower to a qualified repair shop and not Joe down street that is playing repairman.
It ended up being the ignition coil
 
I'd say take it in to the shop, or buy a service manual and go thru the troubleshooting steps. You can buy a can of Berryman's B12 carb cleaner, and spray a long 1 second burst on the air cleaner, try cranking it and see if it momentarially fires. If it does then the problem is fuel related.
It was the ignition coil.
 
Back
Top