John Deere D160 Won't crank/ Dies when i engage mower

jd160

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere D160 Won't crank/ Dies when i engage mower
I did do that with the seat, reverse mow, and clutch switch's. The problem is not there but i'll try your suggestion. Can you explain more on the B&S+ M&G wires. Had a bad day with pain from a surgery gone bad so i could not look into it anymore today. Hope maybe to tomorrow. Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On he back of the key switch you should see tiny letters put there so us techs can wire them up properly.
Battery
Start
Magneto
Ground.
There are others but not important right now.

When trying to find a no crank problem it is handy to have the cranking circuit energized so you dont need to grow a 3rd hand to keep turning the key to the Start position.

There should also be a switch on the parking brake.
To crank the PTO , Brake & Neutral switches all need to be closed . Not all have the neutral switch .
The seat switch is not in the cranking circuit

When running
PTO & Seat switch will kill the engine if you get off with the blades running
Seat & brake swith will kill the engine if you get off with the engine running & brake off
The reverse switch will either kill the engine or turn off an electric PTO if you reverse with the blades on

jd160

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you Sir.

jd160

Forum Newbie
Threads
bertsmobile1 You sir are a scholar. I followed your directions on bypassing the ignition switch and other switch's. Started wiggling wires at connections and taking them apart to clean them with electrical contact cleaner [unhooked the battery to do the spray cleaner on connections] When i got to the relay under the dash and started to pull it apart, it started cranking. The terminals on that relay were pretty dirty. Pretty sure it's fixed. Thanks for your help and all the others with good advice on here.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear it .
Now you see why most techs hate electrical work as it can take days of testing & checking .
FWIW I charge out 3 hours for a full service and 4 hours just to repair wiring .
Before I found this site & all the wonderful helpful people on here I started using that method.
Really good for no crank as the starter itsel will tell you when you have found the problem and on some mowers you need to hang from the roof to get probes in.

Last edited:

jd160

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again. Really helped me out!