John Deere D130 Deck belt

C.D.Z.

Forum Newbie
Threads
This mower is used mainly for picking up clippings and at 98 hours on the meter, the deck belt would jump off when shutting down the deck, and could get by with going to idle and slowly moving lever to off. Assumed the belt was stretched and purchased/installed new belt, but same results, even with tightener at max setting? Have to believe these belts are
maybe manufactured like maybe a 1/2 inch too long when new. Any one else having this problem? CDZ

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is both spindle covers in place as they are belt retainers?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
lay on the left ( non discharge ) side of the mower
Get some one to dissengage the blades a few times & watch to see where the belt jumps off from.
Usually it will be because a mounting is bent, a pulley is bad or a belt guide is out of position .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The deck belt is 1/2 x 103-3/4.

Here I have customers remove and throw this belt cover/retainers then bring their mowers complaining about the belt coming off. I replace the covers again and again One customer's mower I have threaten to weld the MTD mower's metal covers on.

On the D130 these are the spindle belt retainers.
1654859239443.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep.
I keep them as a stock item
Don't know just how many I have replaced that were nearly cut in 1/2 by the belt and once the 2 pins have worn through they are useless as retainers.
Amazing bit is some will happily replace their belts at $ 135 a piece twice a year but won't spend $ 45 on the cause which is the cover being worn through

C.D.Z.

Forum Newbie
Threads
lay on the left ( non discharge ) side of the mower
Get some one to dissengage the blades a few times & watch to see where the belt jumps off from.
Usually it will be because a mounting is bent, a pulley is bad or a belt guide is out of position .
Will try this, and hopefully find a guide out of position? all was well for 1 st 100 hours and started throwing belt all at once when deck was disengaged at to high of engine rpm. Idle way down and slowly move the disengagement lever and does not throw the belt off pulley. Thank You

C.D.Z.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will try this, and hopefully find a guide out of position? all was well for 1 st 100 hours and started throwing belt all at once when deck was disengaged at to high of engine rpm. Idle way down and slowly move the disengagement lever and does not throw the belt off pulley. Thank You

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The trick is to first find out where then work out why
If the belt seems to be flapping then there is something stuck in one of the pulleys
Over time the belt guides end up too far away from the pulleys and need a little bend back
A bad bearing can allow the pulley to twist & then the belt will run up or down and run off
The tensioning arm can come loose so the pulley is canted, same story as above
Tension arm return spring can fall off so again the belt will pop off
But you need to know where this is happening
If you clip rocks, roots, garden edging or have been running with a bent , broken or out of balance blade then one of the mounting arms on the spindle could have fractured allowing the housing to tilt but this usually throws the belt when the blades are engaged
BEcause this is a one man shop, I have an SJ cam ( go pro knock off ) that I clamp to the foot boards so I can video the belt coming loose
I do this for a lot of problems so you can make a video of it happening but do not do it with your phone in your hand it has to be on a couple of bricks or something so it can not shake because the deck will go in & out of focus so much it will not be any use .