john Deere D105 deck belt adjustment

u6609

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere that's a little over 2 years old. When I disengage the PTO the belt jumps off in the front of the mower. I checked on YouTube on how to adjust the tension on the belt. The information I found says to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the L shaped bracket that the PTO is attached to and slide the bracket back and retighten. Unfortunately, on my deck, the bracket is welded to the deck. So what can I do?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a John Deere that's a little over 2 years old. When I disengage the PTO the belt jumps off in the front of the mower. I checked on YouTube on how to adjust the tension on the belt. The information I found says to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the L shaped bracket that the PTO is attached to and slide the bracket back and retighten. Unfortunately, on my deck, the bracket is welded to the deck. So what can I do?

:welcome:

From the top.
The L shaped bracket adjusts the tension when the belt is TIGHT not loose

What stops the SLACK belt from jumping off are the belt keepers which we could hazard a guess are either missing or out of adjustment on your mower
Part 9 in this diagram http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

cwolfe2773

Forum Newbie
Threads
True the keepers will keep the belt from jumping off if the tensioners are working. The L bracket is the issue as the cable stretches over time. If you flip the deck you will find the two holes that are punched during the stamping process. Drill through the L bracket from underneath, cut welds, slot hole and use two bolts with nuts and lockwasher or tap the holes. Now it is adustable to make up for the slack in the engage cable.