John Deere D100 Starting Issue

wingfsmith

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

I have a special needs guy in my neighborhood that cuts grass for a living. He has a John Deere D100 with the John Deere branded 19hp engine. He purchased it from a guy that buys old mowers and fixes them up for resale. It appears there were some modifications made to the mower, which appears to include the removal of some parts (that will be part of another forum question if I can’t figure out the cutting deck).

Recently the mower started having cranking issues. He was using a jump pack to crank the mower each time, and was told by someone that the solenoid was bad. A new solenoid was purchased and installed, and a new battery was also installed. However, the problem persists. This is when I came into the picture and started helping him.
I tested the battery with a multimeter, which shows the battery at around 11.5 volts. I removed the starter, and used jumper cables running from the mower battery to bench test it. I got no movement from the starter when I did this. I then attached his jump pack to the battery, along with the jumper cables, and ran the bench test again. The starter functioned at this point. I’m not a mechanic, so I’m not sure if the starter is functioning properly, or at a reduced rate.
Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do next to further diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

-Andy
You tube has several videos on the valve adj of that engine.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...0000, 19 single cylinder valve adjustment &sc
=0-51&sk=&cvid=1E62304461E346F281E66597C4696D20

cpolarbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

I have a special needs guy in my neighborhood that cuts grass for a living. He has a John Deere D100 with the John Deere branded 19hp engine. He purchased it from a guy that buys old mowers and fixes them up for resale. It appears there were some modifications made to the mower, which appears to include the removal of some parts (that will be part of another forum question if I can’t figure out the cutting deck).

Recently the mower started having cranking issues. He was using a jump pack to crank the mower each time, and was told by someone that the solenoid was bad. A new solenoid was purchased and installed, and a new battery was also installed. However, the problem persists. This is when I came into the picture and started helping him.
I tested the battery with a multimeter, which shows the battery at around 11.5 volts. I removed the starter, and used jumper cables running from the mower battery to bench test it. I got no movement from the starter when I did this. I then attached his jump pack to the battery, along with the jumper cables, and ran the bench test again. The starter functioned at this point. I’m not a mechanic, so I’m not sure if the starter is functioning properly, or at a reduced rate.
Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do next to further diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

-Andy
I had a similar issue with my 155c. Actually turned out the 20 amp fuse was bad, even though it didn't indicate it was bad. May not be your issue, but they are cheap.