John Deere 727A zero turn will not start when hot

rejiii

Threads
  • / John Deere 727A zero turn will not start when hot
My 727A starts on the first crank when cool. After an hour or so, when hot, it will not restart after shut down. I have put on new carbs, gone through the complete fuel system (including putting on electric fuel pump which runs fine when hot), replacing plugs and both ignition coils. Nothing helps.

Bertrrr

Threads
Next time this happens verify if it is a firing problem or fuel, sounds like you've focused on ignition , look at the fuel supply next

rejiii

Threads
I went completely through the fuel system including replacing carb, draining tank, check tank filter, replaced hoses, etc.etc.etc. That plus I can hear the electric fuel pump running. Note that it will run forever if I don't shut it off and try to restart. Hard to imagine its an ignition problem also since I replaced the coils and plugs. I will hook up my spark tester and have my wife try to restart it the next time, plus put a cold wash cloth over the fuel pump to see if it's a heat problem with the pump. Frustrating since replacing the plastic JD fuel pump with the electric fuel pump it ran great for 2-3 years.

Thanks for the reply.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Question, Is the electric pump cycling off as it reaches full pressure when the engine won't start?

Also is the fuel solenoid on the carburetor operating during this non restart? If not it can be a loose electrical contact. I have seen those solenoid contacts to get loose and work and not work.

It probably worth trying a little down the carb throat when it not restarting to check for fuel related issues.

rejiii

Threads
Question, Is the electric pump cycling off as it reaches full pressure when the engine won't start?

Also is the fuel solenoid on the carburetor operating during this non restart? If not it can be a loose electrical contact. I have seen those solenoid contacts to get loose and work and not work.

It probably worth trying a little down the carb throat when it not restarting to check for fuel related issues.
Good ideas that I haven't tried. Thanks, I will let everyone know how they work out.

I am using the solenoid electrical connection to supply power to the electric pump and the solenoid. When I was going through the electrical/fuel systems, I tested the solenoid operation and it was ok. Of course that was 2-3 years ago. That probably needs to be investigated also. The 727A has always been quirky after it got old, like me. Anything is possible.

I have always suspected the "compact" part of the 727A description was part of the problem. Most of the fuel system is directly above the muffler. I put in a heat shield above the muffler to no avail.

Full disclosure: I bought the 727A specifically because it was maneuverable and cut a 54" swath. So any "compact" related issues are on me.

rejiii

Threads
Good ideas that I haven't tried. Thanks, I will let everyone know how they work out.

I am using the solenoid electrical connection to supply power to the electric pump and the solenoid. When I was going through the electrical/fuel systems, I tested the solenoid operation and it was ok. Of course that was 2-3 years ago. That probably needs to be investigated also. The 727A has always been quirky after it got old, like me. Anything is possible.

I have always suspected the "compact" part of the 727A description was part of the problem. Most of the fuel system is directly above the muffler. I put in a heat shield above the muffler to no avail.

Full disclosure: I bought the 727A specifically because it was maneuverable and cut a 54" swath. So any "compact" related issues are on me.
I checked the fuel solenoid and it was operating correctly. When I was installing the JD OEM fuel pump from Green Parts Store, I also found a loose ground connection. Now the JD pump is keeping the fuel filter 3/4 full and it starts regardless of the temperature. Hopefully, this is the solution. If so, the 6X price of the JD part will have been worth it.