John Deere 400

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some of those decks run with belts tight enough to play a tune on them with a fiddle bow .
Remember you have to stretch the tension arm spring to get the belt on
V belts do not stretch very much they wear thin on the V edges
So a very old B section can get to almost the same thickness as an A belt of it runs for long enough .
The pivot point on most JD decks is greasable but yours might need to be pulled down & cleaned to allow full swing .
Other than that try removing the spring and see if the belt will fit without the spring on
If yes then it is a matter of stretching the spring , easy to say hard to do .
If no then you have the routing wrong or the wrong belt

Have you owned the mower since new ?
I have come across a lot of mowers where the owners decided the springs were too expensive so fitted all sorts of work around to save a few dollars without the thought that saving $ 30 on a spring could shorten the life of the $ 200 belt .
The same happens with pulleys, particular idlers .
Down here some original idlers are well over $ 100 and I for one will happily fit a cheaper one of a different size .
If this requires a different belt then I write the belt size under the seat or hood with a paint pen .
However I have been called to fix mowers that the DPO did not bother to do this and have come across all sorts of things like smaller pulleys on the blade spindles to make the blades spin faster in order to get a better cut .
This mower would throw rocks totally across the neighbours yard and into the next yard and it ate blades at a shocking rate.
Took a long while to sort that one out and in the mean time I had tried 6 different belt lengths to get one that worked

jrsnofive

Threads
No, I bought from a lady friend who had spent a lot of cash at the Reynolds dealer here in indy. They should have replaced the belt. Guess it could have been worn out, I bought a 1/2" x 144" A belt and it fit good. I found other JD tractors with 60" decks and used their replacement size and it fits, but I thought it should have a B belt for the horse power and the M48444 was a B belt so. My previous life I worked with hydronic systems and fans (SMWIA test and balance) The B145 fit perfectly, I do need to grease the fittings. You never know what has been changed, I was told it has a repower Kohler so who knows. The local little league pushed an old Dixie off on me and it has the same motor. Of course it stopped running too. Too many irons in the fire, grass is growing. Thanks again.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The M48444 is not "B" (5/8, .625) persay as it is .660" wide. But I found that JD parts crosses are not always 100% as they sub pulleys at times or have the wrong serial number breaks.

jrsnofive

Threads
So, I'm still trying to get that 400 running, So it appears that the fuel drains out the fuel filter, What's going on here. can't find a leak, Remember I did repair a leak in the fuel line to the pump and added a shut off valve ( for easy access). But I don't see a leak.

jrsnofive

Threads
So, I drained the oil and thought it smelt like gas. Took a small amount over to the fire pit and sure enough it burned right up with a kitchen match. New oil new filter charged battery, fired right up after playing with the needle valves. When I shut it off that fuel was draining out of the filter into the carb. Guess the carb is coming off this time. Still can't cut grass with ti