John Deere 345 lawn tractor steering

vol1954

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good day all.....I have a John Deere 345 with a steering issue. Steering is so loose that it is hard to drive in a straight line. Tie rods seem to be tight and in good shape. I have not checked the wheel bearings yet, but are there other things that I need to check before tearing into the wheels? Thanks.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 345 has power steering. First thing to check is the tie rod link between the spindles for play. Then check the link from the left spindle to the steering gear. If the rod ends are tight and it is in the steering gear it will be expensive.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Better hope it is not the gearbox as some parts are NLA. With it having bushings, ball joints, and U joints that where you look for problems first. JD only sold the u joint as part of the steering shaft but you probably size it and find a replacement if needed. Will most likely be a metric u joint.

boatmoter

Threads
Good day all.....I have a John Deere 345 with a steering issue. Steering is so loose that it is hard to drive in a straight line. Tie rods seem to be tight and in good shape. I have not checked the wheel bearings yet, but are there other things that I need to check before tearing into the wheels? Thanks.
the pivot bushing on the front axle, and play in the gearbox