john deere 316 or 318 which should I get

cjgoode

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking at a JD 318 looks in good shape no rust looks like recent spray can paint job with mower deck for about $1200 good tires, add says it runs good no problems, I am also looking at a 1987 316 no pictures but says it has 50 in deck, onan engine tires are starting to crack and it is solid but looks ugly for under $800. I can fix ugly but not functionality that I would really end up missing.

I primary want it to mow but a future plow might be an option, maybe a bucket loader would be cool. I have to mow up and down some steep hills, my little sears ride on mower cannot really handle the hills and when it cannot it was to scary backing down. I see these 316 and 318 models have rear brakes on the wheels. So brakes are important to me, will they hold on steep hills, will the motor handle a steep hill, not sure what the grade it is is but steep. I could drive my 4x4 jeep up them without a problem, but it would have to be in 4wd for sure.

Thanks Chris

Threads
I am pretty sure that the only major differences would be the engine horsepower and hydraulic hose connections. i believe the 318 has connections in the front and the 316 does not. other than that they are pretty similar. If you plan on putting a loader on the front i would get the 318. All in all they are both great machines that will tackle almost anything they are put up against.

mac

Threads
A 316 is a stripped down version of the 318. The hydraulics are much better on the 318, and the major thing it has is power steering.

danvan54

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 316 and my son has a 318. The 316 has only one front hydraulic outlet for a blade (lift/lower only) or a snowblower. The 318 has two front hydraulic outlets for a dual (up/down and right/left) on a blade. The 318 also has power steering and dual brakes on the rear- the two pedals can be locked together or used separately. Both have the Onan engine which has lots of power and can be rebuilt when needed. The 50 inch deck is a deep deck and will lift the grass higher for a better cut. The 316 would be great for mowing, but if you are planning on more functionaliity, you may want to look closer at the 318. Also depending on the size and terrain of your property, the 420 (gas) and 430 (diesel) are a slightly bigger tractor but also have a differential lock for the rear axle. Any of these tractors will last a lifetime when properly maintained.

Jhon

Threads
The 318 is like the holy grail of garden tractors. Spend the extra money and get it.