John Deere 1600 wam series 2 shut off issue

Stoaty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys, new here.

I work for a school and we have recently purchased a Series 2 1600 wam second hand, we haven't had it long and have had no end of issues with it which are slowly being fixed more due to poor servicing and inspection however, one issue that seems to persist is the engine has a habit of shutting down at random with no real consistency to identify a proper cause. We first though it might be a safety circuit on the seat which was bypassed yet the machine still does it so we're a little unsure of the next port of call. Researching has led us to believe it's a fuelling issue with either the pump in side or the shut off solenoid and relay. If anyone has experienced any similar issues with these mowers in particular and can offer a few words of advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stoaty

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cobble up an alternative fuel tank and see if the problem goes away when using it.
You get a lot of floating debris that builds up inside tanks that gets dragged down into the outlet ( great bit of writing ) which blocks off the fuel supply.
When it dies does it happens sudden death style like the engine is turned off of slowly like it is running out of fuel ?

Stoaty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cobble up an alternative fuel tank and see if the problem goes away when using it.
You get a lot of floating debris that builds up inside tanks that gets dragged down into the outlet ( great bit of writing ) which blocks off the fuel supply.
When it dies does it happens sudden death style like the engine is turned off of slowly like it is running out of fuel ?
Very suddenly like you've just switched off the ignition, it then becomes hard to start and will turn over a fair bit before striking into life a dying again. Then it'll start up like nothing happened.
The only reason I'm suspecting solenoid is purely the suddenness of the engine shut down, it's not like a slow, fuel grabbing death, more of a 'slam shut any fuel access at all' or of death. I've moved some relays about to see if a newer (or less used) relay might solve the problem just to see if it might've been a weak.

I've checked over the air system, fuel all seems good (new filter having recently been serviced) and connections are tight. The seat switch has been bypassed before and the issue still persisted so it shouldn't be that, only other safety switch I'm aware of is the one for the engine cover...if I can't get a reasonable days running out of it, it's the only thing I can think of before it has to go in for inspection really.

jdhicrop

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had this problem as well with the same machine. It was the fuel solenoid