John Deere 125 Automatic

ste6168

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey yall. Just bought my first home, and looking to buy a mower. My yard is relatively small (3/4 acre) and almost perfectly flat. I could probably cut it with a push mower, but let's be honest, I am lazy. I am fairly mechanically inclined and usually do maintenance and minor repairs to truck, boat, trailer, and home myself. With that said, I am looking to buy used, and I think I may have found a mower.

Just want to get the low-down before I actually purchase. Not sure of the year, but the mower is a 42" JD 125 Automatic. Looked it up online, and I couldn't find this actual model, but have found the D125 which looks similar. Guessing this is the same mower, just a different name/older model? Looks to be in great condition, has always been garage kept, one owner, currently has 197 hours. Originally purchased through B&B equipment sales, not a Lowes/HD mower (not sure that really matters with this model). Owner has said that I can hear/see it run this afternoon after work. His yard is large, but also really flat (coastal area).

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts and advice. Didn't include price because I want to see what you all think it is worth.

Attachments

• Mower.jpg
    Mower.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 10

ste6168

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another mower that I have been looking into, currently for sale:

Husqvarna Riding Mower

I am pretty dead set on one of the two of these. I prefer the JD a bit more as it looks like it has been taken care of better, and the owner seems like a stand up gentleman.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ask the sellers, face to face while looking them in the eye, if they bought the tractors new. If they look down at the ground and start kicking rocks as they say YES you can bet they are lying.

My guess is the JD seller is a flipper and has no real idea of the history and very little of the condition. Just changed the oil and cleaned and waxed it before parking it out by the for sale sign that stays there most of the year.

ste6168

Forum Newbie
Threads
My guess is the JD seller is a flipper and has no real idea of the history and very little of the condition. Just changed the oil and cleaned and waxed it before parking it out by the for sale sign that stays there most of the year.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think/guess that? It is very well a possibility as I seem to remember seeing another one sitting at this location in the past. Could have been the same tractor though.

Just wondering what sets off that vibe?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are buying a used mower. So that means you are buying as is. Run the mower and listen for odd noises like bad bearings. Look it over for missing parts, loose wires or just damage. If it sounds good and looks like it might be taken care of, I say buy it. If you don't want to take the chance of buying a used mower buy new. I know for myself I always buy used but I also repair them so I know what I am buying. Also I think you are better off buying a used top brand tractor like JD then a junk cheap big box store new mower. I just bet that 125 JD will give you many years of use if taken care of. My old JD is over 40 years old and I am still using it and I bought that used.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ask the sellers, face to face while looking them in the eye, if they bought the tractors new. If they look down at the ground and start kicking rocks as they say YES you can bet they are lying.

Old people loose their hearing, memory, and circulation in some body parts but certain vibes stay for a lifetime.:laughing:

Transmissions are usually the first expensive item to fail in those tractors so test it. Drive the tractor until the Trans fluid is up to operating temperature. Chock the front wheels with a couple of 4x4 blocks on level ground to determine if it is capable of spinning the wheels. Repeat test in reverse. If the seller doesn't want this done, thank him for his time and get in your truck and leave.

ste6168

Forum Newbie
Threads
Old people loose their hearing, memory, and circulation in some body parts but certain vibes stay for a lifetime.:laughing:

Transmissions are usually the first expensive item to fail in those tractors so test it. Drive the tractor until the Trans fluid is up to operating temperature. Chock the front wheels with a couple of 4x4 blocks on level ground to determine if it is capable of spinning the wheels. Repeat test in reverse. If the seller doesn't want this done, thank him for his time and get in your truck and leave.

Thank ya. I will be heading that way in about 2 hours. I will certainly look it over, listen for any strange or awkward noises, and block her to she if she will spin tire.

This will be the first time I have ever owned a rider, so I don't know the ins/outs and problem areas. My hobby is fishing/boating, and I spend a lot of time doing that, send me to look at a used boat and I can tell ya with some certainty how it was maintained, and what to look for overall. This mower thing, not so much. If the JD checks out, I will certainly be making him an offer.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think/guess that? It is very well a possibility as I seem to remember seeing another one sitting at this location in the past. Could have been the same tractor though.

Just wondering what sets off that vibe?

It has been cleaned. Most people don't take the time. Laziness rules unless you are professional.