John Deere 112L hit and miss start

jakesmurray

Threads
I am working on a John Deere 112L (which I believe is like a 111) . It doesn't always engage the starter when you flip the key switch to the start position. If you keep going back and forth, eventually it will engage. I have taken the key switch off, and it seems to be working properly. Could it be the solenoid sticking?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be a lot of things. Let's start with the easy ones first. All of the items I am going to ask you to do may sound stupid, but if we don't go through the entire list, the one we skip will be the problem. First we suspect that every part is bad until we test it good. For all steps make sure that the parking brake has been set. 1. Check the battery voltage, should be at least 12.5V. 2. Check every connection, making sure they bare clean and tight. 3. Short across the two large terminals on the solenoid with a large screwdriver or pliers with the key switch in the run position. It should turn over and start. 4. Take a wire and go from the + terminal of the battery, to the small terminal on the solenoid, with the key switch on. It should turn over and start. 5. With a test light, check to see if you have power at the B terminal on the key switch. 6. Turn the key switch to the start position and with a test light check to see if you have power on the small terminal of the solenoid. 7. Remove the solenoid and clean the base of the solenoid and the chassis wherebit bolts to, to make sure it is grounded good. This is the sequence which I have given to my students for years. Many people use a different order, but using this makes you double check yourself, which you must do when working with electricity. Have patience and take your time, it's easy to miss something. Let us know what happens, and we will be able to tell you how to proceed.

jakesmurray

Threads
Could be a lot of things. Let's start with the easy ones first. All of the items I am going to ask you to do may sound stupid, but if we don't go through the entire list, the one we skip will be the problem. First we suspect that every part is bad until we test it good. For all steps make sure that the parking brake has been set. 1. Check the battery voltage, should be at least 12.5V. 2. Check every connection, making sure they bare clean and tight. 3. Short across the two large terminals on the solenoid with a large screwdriver or pliers with the key switch in the run position. It should turn over and start. 4. Take a wire and go from the + terminal of the battery, to the small terminal on the solenoid, with the key switch on. It should turn over and start. 5. With a test light, check to see if you have power at the B terminal on the key switch. 6. Turn the key switch to the start position and with a test light check to see if you have power on the small terminal of the solenoid. 7. Remove the solenoid and clean the base of the solenoid and the chassis wherebit bolts to, to make sure it is grounded good. This is the sequence which I have given to my students for years. Many people use a different order, but using this makes you double check yourself, which you must do when working with electricity. Have patience and take your time, it's easy to miss something. Let us know what happens, and we will be able to tell you how to proceed.

This sounds great. I will do these things in the morning and report back. Thanks!

jakesmurray

Threads
Sorry but I still haven't had time to look at the mower yet! I have been super busy lately, I should have time to look at it in the next couple days. Will let you know what happens.

jakesmurray

Threads
Ok, I did all of those steps and everything passed. Like I said, this is a hit and miss problem. Someimes it will work like it should, others it wont. I did make note of one thing. There is a purple wire going from the key switch to the solenoid, and I think it is definetely the problem behind this. When I get the engine started, i can flip the pto on and nothing will happen, however when i pull up on this wire, the pto clutch will engage. I can lower it, and it turns off. It is almost like there is a short or something in the purple wire. There is a wirenut in the middle of it, and it is a good connection. The connector on the solenoid looks good too. There are two wires going from the key switch to the plug under the seat, but the switch has been removed. Do these wires need to be connected to complete the circuit? Maybe thats also the problem, then again it works at times? Thanks for help

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does the purple wire that runs from the solenoid to the key switch attach to the same terminal on the solenoid as the large wire coming from the battery. If so that is your main power for all accessories. If you move that wire and things work I think you have located your problem. Check the connection on the key switch and solenoid again carefully, make sure it is clean and tight.