John Deere 100 Series lawn mower, key doesn't go into start position

RobertoSagh

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 100 Series lawn mower, key doesn't go into start position
I was just going to Lowe's to buy a new battery for my lawn mower, but I'm not convinced that the battery is the problem. When turning the key to the light position, the lights turn on fine, which I guess wouldn't happen if the battery was dead. This battery was bought in 2012 and this is not a mower that is used too much.

The other thing that makes me think it may not be the battery is that it's impossible for me to turn the key into the start position. Of the four positions, I can turn the key into the first three, but it doesn't go one bit into the start position, the run position is as far as I can make it go. I tried taking it out and inserting it again, but I can never make it go into the start position, as if some failsafe was preventing it.

The park handle is in the released position, and I'm pushing the brake all the way in when I try to start it. But since the key doesn't go into the start position, the engine does nothing at all, there's no click or any other noise. One thing about the key is that it doesn't seem to me that it's going as far as it can go, but I inserted a thin wire into the key hole to see if there was any accumulated dirt inside and it seemed to me that it was touching against something hard at the bottom, so maybe I just thought the key was supposed to go deeper but it wasn't.

To answer the most obvious question that many people will ask me, yes, the lever that engages the blades is in the disengaged position, but I tried both positions just in case, it didn't make a difference.

Unfortunately searching for this on Google gives me a lot of results from people not able to turn on their machine, which is also my problem, but I didn't see any result with this particular situation, lights turn on, engine doesn't, and key can't go into start position.

I don't have the manual anymore, but the model seems to be a 115 automatic, and the serial on the side of the engine is 6BSXS.5012VP 276470. The model of the battery is U1L-300 and there are two numbers below that, 300 and 365. Both the engine and the battery are Briggs & Straton.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BillyP

Threads
There is not an interlock that prevents the key from turning to the start position. If you can not turn the key to start, you need to replace the ignition switch.

RobertoSagh

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is not an interlock that prevents the key from turning to the start position. If you can not turn the key to start, you need to replace the ignition switch.

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty handy with repairs, but my experience repairing lawn mowers is mostly replacing the blades and things like that, nothing too complicated. Would replacing the key switch be require a professional repair service, or can I do it myself?