John Deer LT180 Problem

Nod

Threads
This is my sons mower. The mower would start fine and he would mow 30 to 45 minutes and it would almost bog down and die. He would turn the pto off and idle to park it, it would not take any throttle or it would die. So he checked the spark plugs and said they looked terrible. Changed them out and he mowed the whole yard. Now to the next yard mowing, mowed 30 to 45 minutes and does the same thing as it originally did. Takes a couple of days but he gets it mowed. I told him to bring it out here and let me look at it and ask the experts. He cranked it to load on the trailer and it would only idle, gets here and it cranks and runs fine to where I wanted it parked. It's hard to fix something that isn't broke. Where do you think I should start first. I was thinking about getting on it and start mowing till it messed up here and go from there. Thank for your help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As you said you got work on it while it is acting up. Intermittent problems are some the hardest to repair. One to do look in the fuel and see any trash is in there. I have had large spiders, wasps, and bees to clog up the fuel pickup. Also bit of rubber from the fuel cap can cause it too. With having lots of grass to cut, testing isn't a problem; getting the time is the problem.

Nod

Threads
I did some mowing today. Ran good for about 15 to 20 minutes. Took fuel lines loose and watched what was happening. I even loosened the fuel cap still died. Fuel filter has fuel in it, not much. I did take the line loose from filter to pump and may be not pulling fuel the best. Going to check if it has a vacuum leak tomorrow. Any suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Black plugs says not enough air or too much fuel so that is where you start
First thing is to check the choke is fully opening and not hanging 1/2 closed
There is a tiny clock spring that holds the choke open and a tiny but of crud on the choke control can stop it opening fully
Although this is usually associated with some black smoke

Next is to remove the carb invert it and see if you can blow through the fuel intake
If you have a pressure pump it should hold 7 psi for at least 10 minutes
If it does not hold air or you can blow through it then there is a bit of crud under the float needle that is preventing it from closing fully
Check the oil for being thin & smelling like petrol .
Let us know how you go