jerk back

Coach Gates

Threads
Have a cub cadet with a 173 cc powermore motor. Cleaned the carb as it would not start, when pulling then it pulled fine. I got the carb cleaned and started it. Did not notice any jerk back and motor ran fine. Shut it off, washed it and then tried to start again. Cord was hard to pull and then didn't start first time. Jerk back, but on second pull, she started and ran fine. About 30 minutes later tried again. Jerk back, but will start eventually and runs like a champ. I checked the flywheel key (twice) and it is perfect. Checked the plug, dry. Rotated the engine with the plug out, no oil or gas came out. Checked the valves, they were good but adjusted again. Put it all back together and still have jerk back on the pull. Starts eventually and runs great. What am I missing on the jerk back?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to see if the blade is loose.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three things cause jerking on most small engines. Loose blade, raw fuel in cylinder, and sheared flywheel key. Time to go back and double check these three things. I’m guessing you may find something wrong with the carb, as that was when the problem started occurring.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Three things cause jerking on most small engines. Loose blade, raw fuel in cylinder, and sheared flywheel key. Time to go back and double check these three things. I’m guessing you may find something wrong with the carb, as that was when the problem started occurring.
There is one other failure that cause kickback and that is an ACR failure on the camshaft; although, washing the outside of engine can't cause its failure. They however do fail at any time.

In Reference to post #3.

To check for an ACR you remove the valve cover. You then rotate the engine normally though while watching the valve rocker arms. As you approach TDC compression stroke both valves will be closed but one will open slightly for a split second to release some of the compression. On the P61, P65, and P70 engine it would the lower rocker arm that does this which appears to be the exhaust valve. If no movement is observed and the valves are adjusted to spec then the ACR on the camshaft has failed.

Valve specs are .003-.005 Intake and .005-.007 Exhaust.

Coach Gates

Threads
There is one other failure that cause kickback and that is an ACR failure on the camshaft; although, washing the outside of engine can't cause its failure. They however do fail at any time.

In Reference to post #3.

To check for an ACR you remove the valve cover. You then rotate the engine normally though while watching the valve rocker arms. As you approach TDC compression stroke both valves will be closed but one will open slightly for a split second to release some of the compression. On the P61, P65, and P70 engine it would the lower rocker arm that does this which appears to be the exhaust valve. If no movement is observed and the valves are adjusted to spec then the ACR on the camshaft has failed.

Valve specs are .003-.005 Intake and .005-.007 Exhaust.
didn't know the powersource 173cc motors had an ACR (compression release?). I just replaced a cam on a briggs 21 hp rider.