JD X500 tractor with perplexing issue

Hop Meadow Farm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2012 X500 yard tractor with a Kawasaki FS730V engine that has been great up until now. It currently has 775 hours on the clock. I was working in the garden and shut the engine off, when I went to start it, nothing other than a slight buzzing. Pop in a new solenoid and starter, Nothing. My trickle charger is indicating a full charge, nothing. I jump it and it fires right up and runs well. Shut it down, nothing. Pop a new battery in, it cranks like crazy but no spark. The coils seem to be ok so I install a new stator, cranks but won't start. Pull the kill grounds off of the coils, it fires but runs very roughly and shuts down. Install a new ignition switch, the same thing. It will only fire if the coil kill wires are removed.
What have I missed????

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you check the seat switch. It is a normally open switch so it is operating a relay to unground the ignition kill wire.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly, no excuse for any JD owner to ever have a problem that bamboozels them
JD put out excellent Technical Manuals written so that a 10 year old can find any problem & fix it .
I buy them as I need them for every JD in my repair run .
But I do not have one for an X500 so I do not have a wiring diagram so I do not know if your mower is fused or has a fuseable link.
In any case a buzzing is because the solenoid is not getting enough power through the trigger circuit
Clicking is because it is not getting enough power to the switched circuit .
JD usually use a 4 pole solenoid so it has 2 trigger wires ( small ones at the base ) .
For the solenoid to work , one must be battery voltage and the other must be ground and both of them are usually switched
Polarity is not important they can be installed either way.
Confirm the main ground cable by running a booster from the battery - to a good ground on the engine & try again
Confirm the battery by running a booster from the battery to the starter + ( beware of big spark ) I like to connect the starter first
Confirm the battery + cable by running a booster from the battery to the + in on the solenoid & turning the key
Confirm the power cable from the solenoid to the starter by moving this booster to the starter side of the solenoid ( again big flash so be careful )
Confirm the battery by boosting from a known good battery directly to the starter & ground if all of the above tests failed auto chargers have been known to tell porkies .