JD x354 on Inclines

trevorhiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to purchase a riding mower for my new house. I was originally looking at an entry level John Deere, then I saw the 4 wheel steering of the x354. It's definitely overkill for my small yard, but I was originally interested in a zero turn until I found out they are no good on hills. My side yard is a 17-18 degrees hill sloping toward my house (at the steepest portion). My question is do you think this hill is too steep to mow with a tractor style mower?

I saw JD recommends no more than 15 degrees incline and I'm just barely above that. My yard isn't all that big, but down the road I may want to add a de-thatcher, snow blower, etc. which is the reason I was looking at some of the higher end JD mowers than just the S100 series. Also, if I am spending a few grand, I want a mower that's going to last me many years.

Do you think for this incline I would need special tires, counterbalance weights, etc. to safely tackle this 18 degree slope? I'm mainly curious if the 15 degrees is hard stop limit because of the tractor physical capabilities or because John Deere just doesn't want to be responsible for idiots who roll them over.