Export thread

JD SX 85 coil movement

runandrise

runandrise

Greetings all. I’ve had my Rider a few years and have gotten enough help that I got it running. My newest problem is I can’t keep the coil gapped! I double a sheet of paper for my spacing after loosening the two bolts that hold it in place. After retightening, and now I have lock washers under the heads of the nuts, it’s still making contact with the flywheel. I can tell immediately it moved, because it usually starts pretty good. If not, I put in my spark tester and no spark. Then I remove the cover, which is pretty quick these days, sure enough, just one “outer” edge of the coil is making contact. Is this indicative of a bad coil, or I need a better trick to hold It tight in place. I’m REALLY hesitant about breaking these very small bolts by over tightening, and I feel pretty confident they are snug…
thanks!

R

Rivets

If it came to me with this problem, I would do the following.
First I would remove the coil.
Second I would carefully sand the two mounting posts flat and square.
Third I would install the coil using a small dab of BLUE Lotite.
Fourth I would set the air gap to .018”. When I don’t have my feeler gauges handy I use a business card.
Fifth I would snug the bolts as tight as I feel comfortable with.
Let sit for 24 hrs. Test the unit.

The only other thing I do is clean both the bolts and holes with a tap and die, but most people don’t have them down to that size or are a little scared they might ruin the threads.

StarTech

StarTech

Briggs 28M series

Air Gap .010 - .014" Screw torque 30 in-lbs.

20 lb Bond paper is .0035 so when folded is only .007".

I

ILENGINE

Had that issue a few years ago on a Honda. The issue was the top bearing under the flywheel was damaged and allowed the crankshaft to wobble and get closer to the coil when the magnet came around.

runandrise

runandrise

Appreciate the replies guys. Definitely good advice. I’m doing the easiest first. The paper was a YouTube video. It worked initially, but…..
thanks again!

runandrise

runandrise

Being one that likes to report back on results, I’m happy to say that after sitting for a month, the JD started almost instantly. I used the Rivets method. I did all the work, but left for Tn. The next day for 3 weeks. Was very pleasantly surprised how quick it started. I barely turn the ignition key and it’s running.
thanks again for all the advice!

B

bertsmobile1

:giggle: (y)

R

Rivets

Thank you for letting us know the results, most guys won’t do that.