JD LX188 Won't Start

gsim

Threads
Was thinking about your problem and I re-read your posts. You mentioned starter would not even spin when you put direct 12v on it. It takes a fairly hefty wire to drive a starter even on a lawn mower. I'd use a jumper cable to test it, straight from the battery. Or if you have one, a charger with the 50 amp start boost feature will work. You might have a dirty starter, which makes them weak. worn, dirty brushes and dirty armature can cause starter malfunction. I've cleaned armatures and replaced brushes on several starters over the years, and they always worked well, and better than before. If a starter has burnt, short-circuited windings, they always smell burnt when you open them up. In that case they are junk. If you scout around in ebay for a starter for your mower, be sure to enter search as 'starter for John Deere mower, part # xxxxxxxx Many vendors use orig factory part numbers when they list parts for sale.

Chuck M

Forum Newbie
Threads
Folks, I appreciate all the suggestions. To answer a few of your questions: Mod # MOL188X121982. The relay buzzes when the key is turned to start (all the way to the right) I found a complete circuit board on eBay for $156. Before I purchase a circuit board, I'm going to verify the starter solenoids (new and old) are functional. I'll run a few jumper wires and see if I can get them to activate. Since I'm getting 12volts at the ignition wire on the solenoid, it seems the buzzing relay is still functioning. I'm starting to wonder if the starter itself may be bound up. I'll see if I can jump it as well.

Chuck M

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update. Using car jumper cables, I verified the new solenoid is working and the starter is bad. Still have 12v at the solenoid ignition wire and the circuit board relay has stopped buzzing. I've ordered a new starter from Amazon. $46 for new starter with solenoid. Will have the starter in about a week. Hopefully all is good. If not, I think I'll take an earlier suggestion and install a push button switch rather than purchase a circuit board. JD wants $195 for it.