JD LT155 Reverse Safety

Bill G

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a used JD LT155 that sometimes stalls out if I try to mow in reverse. Since thehe RIO Switch (Button) did not stop it from stalling, I pulled the RIO Switch and found no wires attached. I also could not find the wires that were supposed to be attached.

How can I locate the wires, or replace the wires, to make the switch operate properly? If that is not an option, how else can I stop the mower from stalling while in reverse?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I let someone else explain this as I got about 10 riders and ZTRs to fix today. Here is the electrical schematics for the one with the RIS switch and not the 4 position ignition switch.

JD LT133, LT155 Wiring.png

Bill G

Forum Newbie
Threads
I understand the diagram, but do not know how to locate the RIO relay or the RIO switch. The white wires from these are supposed to be attached to the RIS switch and are not. I could not locate any lose white wires near the RIS switch.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I always start every JD reply with a note that the JD technical manual that Star pulled that wiring diagram from had a diagram that shows where every switch is hidden and where most of the plugs are.
You will find the Reverse Switch ( S5-RIS ) sitting on a bracket on the transmission behind the wheel such that when the actuating arm on the transmission goes into reverse it closes the plunger .
If you are still lost, follow the seat switch wires because the reverse switch wires are on the same sub loom.
The reverse relay ( K3 RIO ) which counter acts the kill signal from the reverse switch sits in a line of 4 relays between the dash tower & the engine
From memory from the engine side L to R they go K2 , K3, K4, K5

The over ride switch S4-RIS lives in the dash near the key switch.
It is common for the switches to be dissabled in some form however they are all ground wires so if some one unplugs one and then the wires end up making a ground contact, then no sparks .