jd la125 stops when I put on the pto lever

sameoldguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I engage the blade, pto lever on, the engine stops. By passed the pto switch (duct tape over the plunger) the engine ran fine and cut the lawn. Purchased and installed a new pto switch, same thing engine stopped.

I could use some ideas on how to solve the issue.

Thanks

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

Trcustoms719

Threads
It could be another safty switch.
Don't keep replacing them just use a paper clip and push it in the contacts in the connector or the tape like you did on the other one.
Test the one for the foot pedal and the one on the seat.
And your sure you have the rite new switch?

sameoldguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it is the same pto switch. Put in the new switch, it did not work. Replaced with the old switch it did not work. I checked the seat switch everything appears to be okay.

Did not know there was a kill switch on the brake. Will look tomorrow.

Thanks

jeff

Threads
Some of those switches are normally open, some normally closed. If your new switch is the wrong one, there is the problem.

Trcustoms719

Threads
Some of those switches are normally open, some normally closed. If your new switch is the wrong one, there is the problem.

Rite! That's why i asked if he had the correct switch, stranger things have happend.

mullins87

Threads
Is this the switch you push in order to back up with the blades engaged? If so, I'd bet the switch on the reverse pedal is bad and is signalling that you're backing up all the time.

Trcustoms719

Threads
Is this the switch you push in order to back up with the blades engaged? If so, I'd bet the switch on the reverse pedal is bad and is signalling that you're backing up all the time.

I've seen some (mostly MTD mowers) with that built into the ignition switch.
It could be any of the safty switches just a matter of finding the bad one.:confused2:

mullins87

Threads
I think his switch should be a little yellow button mounted to the left of the steering wheel. He has replaced the switch with a new one, but it could be a bad one too. I have a similar LA175. Here's why I think it could be the switch that gets depressed when you back up... With the engine running, you can only get off the mower if the PTO is disengaged and the parking brake is set. The PTO can only be engaged when the seat switch is depressed, i.e. you are sitting on it. If you get off the seat while the PTO is engaged, or the seat switch is bad, the engine will die immediately. Also, the engine won't even crank unless you are in the seat and the clutch is disengaged. He said he was able to tape the Reverse Implement Option, or RIO as it is labeled on the mower, down and the mower ran normally. As far as I know, the only other switch that this RIO switch interacts with is the one on the reverse pedal for the hydrostat. I'm thinking it is stuck or bad, and is signalling that the machine is constantly in reverse.

But then again, I could be wrong.....wouldn't be the first. :ashamed: