JD LA120 won't move forward or reverse

johnorlandi

Threads
Hi guys hope everyone stayed safe

I have a JD-LA-120 ( Home depot ) that is about 9 years old and has 200 hours on it (second machine) this won't move forward or reverse but starts and runs good.
It moved when I parked it
I removed the mower deck cover to grease the spindles only and did not do nothing else, it ran, blades worked, I parked it and now it won't move any ideas????

thanks John

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull rod at backside of tractor after releasing brake to see if it moves.
Is drive belt from engine pulley to transaxle pulley & two idler pulleys in good shape?

Last edited:

johnorlandi

Threads
Thank You yes it does.
I followed the rod to the transmission and it is moving forward and back in the transmission

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Things to check
1) bypass lever
Elves seem to like sneaking in over night & dissengaging them without you noticing
2) brakes not stuck on

johnorlandi

Threads
I will do more checking this week. I don't think the brakes are stuck it moved easy when I had to PUSH it back to the shed
What is the bypass lever? if that is the one on the back of the tractor to move by pushing yes that is ok.
The fan on top of the transmission should that be turning with tractor running and not moving?

The elves also got my Agco Allis I had to make adjustments on that before I could use it to cut the grass

wolf865

Threads
I had the same problem with my Scott's 1642. What I finally discovered was that a transmission piece had gone bad. If I remember correctly it was some vertical rod that came up out of the transmission? Had to drop the transmission to replace it but it really was an easy fix replacing just that one piece. Didn't have to open the transmission up. Sorry I don't remember the name of the piece as it was a couple of years back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The bypass rod can pull out .
Easy check is to try to push the mower in the mow position.
If it is hard to push and one wheel seems to slide then they bypass is working properly.

johnorlandi

Threads
Hi guys thanks for the information but no one would have been able to fix this one without being here to work on it

Early spring I service the mowers by changing oil/filters/air/ and what ever they need I also pull the battery caps and add water if needed..
One of the caps fell and I could not find it so I figured it would fall out when mowing the grass. !!!WELL it didn't!!!.

This morning I took the mowing deck off, jacked the tractor up and got underneath to see. The belt to the transmission was real loose so I checked everything around the belts and then I saw this black plastic thing up there and touched it with a screw driver and it moved a little it was jammed into the linkage, I played around until it fell out and the linkage worked fine after that

Gremlins work in the strangest way's

Hope you all had a good laugh after reading this

Thank again and stay safe

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
HAd a custome who dropped the fuel cap on a gravity feed mower
He had another "spares "one so he just switched the cap expecting to find it on the lawn.
$ 470 latter I retrieved it mangled having taken out the deck belt , 2 spindle housings , all 3 blades and a big chop out of the deck.
Tough little buggers those B &S fuel caps.
And the owner must have been deaf with no feelings not to hear or feel the destruction happening .