JD 245 (GT i think)traction / drive belt size (hydro)

Thomasam

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD 245 (GT i think)traction / drive belt size (hydro)
Hi does anyone know the drive/traction belt size in inches, on a JD 245 (ft I think) I've been told that no one does after market belts for this mower, they're fractional or something, I don't believe that. To me all belts are fractional.I'm wondering if anyone knows the belt size off the top of their head. It's a JD 245 (GT 245 I think) I'm not sure what year,mid - late 90's (I think) I'm guessing the year is in the numbers. Model # M00245B162196. Stock # W09710. I couldn't find an actual serial # . I can do the rope /string measure method, but it's kind of a pain in the nutz w/ the dual idler arrangement .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to tell you that JD uses factional (not full inch) belts, which is why you cannot find any cross references for them. The only way that you can get close substitute is to remove the belt and measure it. If you are very lucky you just might find aan after market belt that is close enough to fit. Remember, length is not the only measurement you will need. Belts are made with different angles and depths which will affect whether it will work. If you are not careful the belt will ride too high or too deep in the pulleys, which will cause problems.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
One more reason to stay away from the ugly green mower. LOL get a gates belt you will have to go a half inch smaller or a half inch bigger if you go with the shorter on your engine will bog down in thick grass if you go with the longer one your belt will slip in thick grass.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Thomasam

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Rivets,for the reply. This JD im playing with came to me with no drive belt. I bought one from Tractor Supply,their cross ref books listed the belt as a 5/8x 63" which was way to short. I have some forklift / construction equipment experience, fractional belts are common with that stuff. I'm in the middle of nowhere Fla.,120 mile trip to a decent industrial supply house,Grainger etc.. even further to JD dealer
Apparently JD doesn't print the actual belt size on the belt only a part #. Local mower supply shops in this area seem to be boycotting JD products. they don't even want to talk about them. (guessing they can't afford the franchise fees) I guess I'm going to get a peice of 5/8 rope, and use the rope measure method. Thanks again for the reply.

Thomasam

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more reason to stay away from the ugly green mower. LOL get a gates belt you will have to go a half inch smaller or a half inch bigger if you go with the shorter on your engine will bog down in thick grass if you go with the longer one your belt will slip in thick grass.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
Thanks for the reply Carscw. LOL, I don't think this thing has cut grass in at least 5 yrs the deck is basically a shell, I think it has 1 pulley, and 1 out of 3 blades. They just use it to drag stuff around the pasture. They have an MTD to cut the grass.

Thomasam

Forum Newbie
Threads
some progress, I got a Huskee brand (tractor supply) 1/2"x 76" belt to work. I think a 75" would be better, but haven't tried it yet. Judging from the wear pattern on the pulleys, it always used a 1/2" belt.
I used the rope measure method, 5/8" rope ,w/ the double idler pulley at about the way point.The rope measured 71" ID, which ended up being 4"-5" short. The rope measure method always worked for me w/ cars,forklifts etc.,but I dont think there were idlers involved. Anyway that's my story I'm sticking to it. Just thought I'd let ya's know. Got ignition switch wiring problems now. Leaving these things sit outside in Fla.,is asking for it.