JD 170 lawn tractor trouble starting issue

Morris

Forum Newbie
Have a JD 170 lawn tractor. When turning the key, wometimes it would connect and sometimes not. Thought the issue was the starter, so had the starter rebuilt along with the solenoid. Thought I had taken care of the issue, it took right off. But next day it was back again. I took off the switch and noticed some corrosion..so I filed it off and used the electrical contact cleaner..once again it took off...but again it doesn't. It has me perplexed. Would appreciate any insight to this issue. Thanks
 
Check your safety interlock devices. It could be the one on the clutch pedal, or the seat, or the one that senses when the PTO is engaged.
 
Have a JD 170 lawn tractor paint. When turning the key, wometimes it would connect and sometimes not. Thought the issue was the starter, so had the starter rebuilt along with the solenoid. Thought I had taken care of the issue, it took right off. But next day it was back again. I took off the switch and noticed some corrosion..so I filed it off and used the electrical contact cleaner..once again it took off...but again it doesn't. It has me perplexed. Would appreciate any insight to this issue. Thanks

Is it working at all anymore or still only sometimes?
 
Your problem is the voltage drop involved in all the switches and connections in the 12volt starter solenoid circuit... you could use a DVM and find this and then repair the link that is causing the immediate problem...
OR
You can get this relay, kit plug it in and you will have fixed your problem, without having to know why or how it fixed it... & it will not return, ... :John Deere Starting Improvement Relay Kit - AM107421
:smile:KennyV
 
Back
Top