Jacobsen Tri King 1900D Troubleshooting question

E-RAS

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Jacobsen Tri King 1900D mower (product id: 67043). I'm encountering the following issue and seeking any help, guidance or suggestions from this forum on what could possibly be the issue. First off , the mower runs great with the reels disengaged, it climbs slopes just fine in both forward and reverse. However, when I engage the reels the mower seems to loose power in the forward direction only, and not in reverse. The steeper the slope the more noticeable the loss in power becomes. On a flat grade you wouldn't notice any loss in power, however when mowing up a slope the mower really struggles to go forward and eventually comes to a slow crawl, I disengage the reel and the mower climbs up the slope just fine and can turn it around and mow down the slope. Climbs up slopes fine in reverse with the reels engaged. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please give us all numbers for the engine, as Jacobsen is not easy to access on the internet.

E-RAS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please give us all numbers for the engine, as Jacobsen is not easy to access on the internet.
Hi Rivets, the engine numbers are: 67043 - 1900D Kubota D662-EB

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me you have a fuel delivery problem to the injectors. First thing I would check is the fuel line from the tank all rather way to the injector pump. Look for debris in the tank, clogged fuel lines and fuel filters, there amay be as many as three. and fuel pump. When was the last time the filters were changed?

E-RAS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds to me you have a fuel delivery problem to the injectors. First thing I would check is the fuel line from the tank all rather way to the injector pump. Look for debris in the tank, clogged fuel lines and fuel filters, there amay be as many as three. and fuel pump. When was the last time the filters were changed?
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure about the fuel pump or filter service. I've had the mower serviced regularly, but I've lost confidence in the shop that has maintained the mower for the past three years. I've downloaded the Kubota Diesel Engine Operator Manual and researching fuel system today. Looks like the engine has two pumps, an injection pump and fuel feed pump and one fuel filter called a fuel filter pot. I'm going to start with the fuel filter pot first. Any advice or tips on servicing this?

Update: I put the mower up on jacks yesterday and discovered the reel pump drive belt to be loose (connects the flywheel to the clutch for the reels). Upon closer inspection the upper "E" bolt was loose and the lower "E" bolt was missing (see attached figure 3B Diesel Eng). Replaced missing bold and adjusted the belt IAW the Jacobsen Maintenance Manual. The mower seems to do a little better mowing up hill now but I think could be a lot better still.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 8.25.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 8.25.42 AM.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 6

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From what you described you may found part or all of the problem. Look under the chassis and see if there are any filters between the tank and fuel pump. Kubota engines are highly susceptible to fuel contamination and normally have multiple filters. If you have concerns about the quality of past service, I would recommend replacing the belt and all filters. You must use OEM products, and you can do it yourself, with a little mechanical knowledge and patience. Please triple check on multiple filters.