Jacobsen "Lawn Prince 18"

Iamisland

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently purchased this old mower Lawn Prince. Seems to be from the early seventies. Where can I get parts and diagrams?

Romore

Threads
Jacobsen has been out of the consumer market since the late 80's. If that is a reel mower and I assume it is good luck finding anything for it.

uptown

Threads
E bay is a good place. It probably has the 4 cycle Briggs engine engine parts should be easy enough to find. For the rest of the mower a parts mower is usually the easiest route. I have diagrams. unfortunately for some reason I can't seem to post pictures on this site?

uptown

Threads
Craigslist or Facebook market place they pop up here and there as well

Iamisland

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got the engine running like new. Now what I need to know is... The wheels lock when pulling backwards! Is this by design or do I need to find the problem?

upupandaway

Threads
"The wheels lock when pulling backwards " Is it self propelled?? If it is, something in the self propel is sticking.
Today's honda mowers use a ratchet to engage fwd. catch is it also engages when u pull it back.
back track starting at the wheels to find what is sticking.

Iamisland

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, it is self-propelled. I wanted to get some advise before I began this step. When disengaged from the engine, I can by hand rotate the blades backwards, so I had begun to believe it was by design or something stuck in the wheels. It seems though each wheel must have the same problem. Both lock up when pulling backwards.

Iamisland

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay. I found the problem. Not an easy fix, but it is possible with replacement parts with today's tech. One bearing on the reel completely dry and almost locked. The other bearing in fair shape, but I will also replace. Plans are to replace both with sealed bearings. Biggest problem is removing the one bad bearing without damaging the shaft.