It burned up???

Burned1up

Forum Newbie
Threads
Run my 2 yr old Troy-Bilt Horse for the second time this season. It ran great,no problems. Got about 90% of my yard finished when it ran out of gas. I decided to let it cool down before I added gas. Cut it off after disengaging the blade,raised the seat and went in the house. I had another place to go so I washed my face,changed shirts and started out to the car. I noticed a curl of smoke coming from around the corner of the house. I ran around and saw my Lawnmower completely engulfed in flames. I attempted to put it out with a water hose but it was too far gone. Thank God I didn't have gas in it and that I hadn't immediately added gas or I wouldn't be here writing this problem. I don't know what caused it. I maintained it and kept it clean. It was only 2 yrs old. Anyone know what could have happened? Does anyone know of a saftey recall on this model or anyone else experience a similar problem?:mad::frown::mad:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Total speculation here but any way. fuel leak around the engine, electrical short, the dreaded mouse nest under the blower housing in the engine, grass on hot bearing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just what was burning, you said you kept it clean?

Burned1up

Forum Newbie
Threads
The seat,steering wheel,tires,oil in the engine,the dash,all the wiring,rubber handles on the PTO,gear shift,height control. Everthing was burning,it is toast. I had just run the mower two weeks prior for about two hours and had no problems at all. There were no gas,oil,exhaust smells coming from the mower. I'm perplexed as to the cause.:rolleyes::mad::confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The gas tank is plastic sets high back of engine. Gas leak on hot engine, loose fuel line? The muffler is below engine in front of mower. Oil or gas leaking onto muffler? Wires on dash right next to gas tank. short in wire, melt plastic gas tank, fire? You did say you did keep the mower clean, maybe grass on the exhaust system? Can you tell where in fire started, engine area, front or rear of mower, under mower by the deck? With out looking at mower no idea, maybe some pictures?

Burned1up

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are some pictures. I don't know how to determine where the fire started.:confused2:

Attachments

• lawnmower1.JPG
    lawnmower1.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 36
  • lawnmower3.JPG
    lawnmower3.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 24
  • lawnmower4.JPG
    lawnmower4.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 17
  • lawnmower6.JPG
    lawnmower6.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 16
  • lawnmower7.JPG
    lawnmower7.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 15
  • lawnmower8.JPG
    lawnmower8.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 17
  • lawnmower9.JPG
    lawnmower9.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 25
  • lawnmower5.JPG
    lawnmower5.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 17

possum

Threads
Not all that much to burn that hot in those areas without gas, If your tank was empty then the gas was somewhere. And it fueled the fire.

turbofiat124

Threads
Here are some pictures. I don't know how to determine where the fire started.:confused2:

I have one of those just like it! That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. No pun intended.

The fire had to have started in the engine compartment because the rear tires are not burned up. I know that sounds "DUHH..." I mean not the transmission end.

I usually leave my riding mowers outside and let them cool off while I weedeat and blow the driveway off before pulling them inside my yard barn just for that same reason. Then fuel them up before mowing.

I've had a lot of mowers that have leaked gas, oil and even fueled them up when hot (I know not a good idea) and have never caught one on fire. The fuel hose that runs from the tank to the carb on these mowers is nowhere near the muffler.

There seems to be a lot of engine fires related to Kawasaki engines due to defective fuel filters.

Kawasaki Motors Recalls Fuel Filters for Lawn Mower and Utility Vehicle Engines - Gas Engine Parts and Information

gfp55

Threads
What ever started the fire, if it was gas, it would only need a little flame to ignite the hot plastic and then its going to burn fast. I watched a guy do some welding, a spark started some plastic on fire and in ten minutes the whole car was in flames, the flames spread to cars on both sides, I pulled other cars out of the way with my truck to stop the spread of flames. In 15 minutes 6 cars were on fire and totally burned up. It doesn't take long for hot plastic to turn into a raging fire. I glad you didn't park your tractor in you garage/shed while you were waiting for it to cool down. I sorry that you Troy Bilt is gone. I hope others read this and take heed and don't park their tractor/mowers near their houses/garages/sheds/ect right after using them.