It’s my time to ask for help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Txmowman, the engine is a KF34DU, serial number 31361N. These numbers come right from the ID tag. Going to test the condenser today, depending on the weather, we’re supposed to get 6-12” of snow today. What I’m looking for right now is the point gap. One individual told me it is somewhere between .011-.014” and another said .028”. Would like to set it properly before reassembling.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you, that will be on my to do list after I get in contact with Kawasaki next week.

txmowman

Threads
The point gap for the engine is, 0.3 - 0.5mm (.012"-
015"). The service manual that StarTech noted is no longer available from Kawasaki.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you. Are you lucky enough to have a copy of the service manual? If so can I contact your if I have more service questions?

txmowman

Threads
Thank you. Are you lucky enough to have a copy of the service manual? If so can I contact your if I have more service questions?
You can contact me with any questions.

Telesis

Threads
Rivets, the manual is on ebay right now for $10.99 w free shipping.

Here is title: OEM Kawasaki KF24 KF34 KF53A KF68 Engine Workshop Manual 99924-2001

FYI....

Telesis

Threads
Forgot to mention, I have the Operator's Manual and schematic for the PM1500. I have a PM800 and both are covered. Interesting though, the Op Man which includes a parts list and diagram list the engine in the PM1500 as the FA130D (not the KF34). The manual is from Feb 89. You may still find useful info in these docs. Interesting also that neither manual includes a parts list breakdown of the engine itself.

They are too big to attach here but I'm happy to share with you. PM me your email address and I'll send them. (I'll also include the service or 'workshop' manual for FA130D so you can see what kind of service info Kawasaki includes)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Telesis, thank you for the offer. I may take you up on your offer if I don’t get any help from Kawasaki and Coleman/PowerMate. Generac, which now owns Coleman, has contacted me saying they need more numbers which I can’t find, but at least they are looking into it. I’m calling Kawasaki this morning, as they haven’t gotten back to me yet. At 70+ years old I really don’t want to invest any money in another manual if I don’t have to, especially on a unit that I’ll probably never work on again. Will keep everyone posted as I get more info. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I found more (less) about this unit than I would have thought. First, I still don’t know who is actually owns the naming rights to this unit. I’ve contacted PowerMate, Coleman/PowerMate, Generac, and one other company Generac pointed me to. I’ve got 9 different phone numbers and no one can help me with owners, service or parts manuals for this unit. I contacted Kawasaki about the engine with model and serial numbers, but they say they have no info on this engine, that I need to go through one of their authorized dealers. I found out my contact at Kawasaki has retired. I contacted three different dealers and none of them could help me find a parts diagram. One even contacted his authorized distributor, but no help, I’m on my own. I’ve been doing this for over 50 years and have never run into so many brick walls or people who didn’t really want to help me, just said “can’t help try this number”. Talk about frustrating.
Monday I went to see my buddy to test the condenser and found that it would no hold a charge and was shorted out. Found a medium capacity (.20mfd) condenser that I could fit in the engine, cleaned the points and set the point gap to .014”, reassembled everything and the unit started on the second pull. Inline tester now showed a good steady spark and after adjusting the carb and governor to proper voltage and hertz (110VDC and 50 hz) I feel everything is set to go. I hope that I’ve installed the right size condenser, so the points do not burn up and want to say thank you to everyone who has tried to help me in this project. Have a great holiday season. Rivets.