IS700Z with Kaw FS691V engine, sheared bolts that secure engine to frame?

Probity

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / IS700Z with Kaw FS691V engine, sheared bolts that secure engine to frame?
I’ve got a IS700Z (52” deck) with Kaw. FS691V engine, bought in 2016, has ~500 hrs. on it now.

An odd (to me) thing happened yesterday. The 4 bolts that secure the engine to the Ferris ZTR frame - 3 of the bolts are sheared (with bolt stubs still in the threaded portion of the aluminum engine crankcase cover), and 1 bolt is completely missing (or was never originally installed?). Had this happened to any of you?

Background is – while cutting grass a couple days ago, mower drive belt busted (bummer). Disengaged PTO, drove ZTR back to the garage (it drove/moved fine, transmission drive belt fine).

Bought and installed a new mover drive belt. Checked the mower belt idler tensioner spring length, all good (11.3/4”). Started engine, went to move mower out of garage to run at no-load condition for a few minutes to break in the new belt – however – had a problem getting the ZTR to move (only moved VERY slowly). Looked at the transmission drive belt with engine running, appeared to have a lot of ‘slop’. Shut engine off, pulled on the transmission drive belt, definite ‘slop’ in its tension – BUT – when I pulled on the belt, also noticed the engine ‘moved’ slightly (not good). Whaaaat?

Grabbed the engine and found I could move it, so looked under the ZTR and found all 4 bolts that secure the engine to the frame missing.

Briefly considered trying to raise engine end of ZTR and then drilling/tapping the 3 sheared bolt stubs to remove them but more effort required for that than I can currently muster (I’m an old guy).

Took my IS700Z to my closest Ferris sales/service/parts store (not where I bought my Ferris). Explained my problem and asked if they could get the Kaw. Engine secured to the frame again (yes they can). Surprisingly (to me), they said “yeah we’ve seen this a couple times before and have had to remove engine / drill and tap bolt stubs out / install new bolts – and in once instance we had to replace the aluminum engine crankcase cover because the 4 x threaded portions of the cover where the bolts secure the engine to the frame had buggered threads”.

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is something that is prudent in doing yer own services to check on..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Double posted question...

Davenj4f

Threads
I’ve got a IS700Z (52” deck) with Kaw. FS691V engine, bought in 2016, has ~500 hrs. on it now.

An odd (to me) thing happened yesterday. The 4 bolts that secure the engine to the Ferris ZTR frame - 3 of the bolts are sheared (with bolt stubs still in the threaded portion of the aluminum engine crankcase cover), and 1 bolt is completely missing (or was never originally installed?). Had this happened to any of you?

Background is – while cutting grass a couple days ago, mower drive belt busted (bummer). Disengaged PTO, drove ZTR back to the garage (it drove/moved fine, transmission drive belt fine).

Bought and installed a new mover drive belt. Checked the mower belt idler tensioner spring length, all good (11.3/4”). Started engine, went to move mower out of garage to run at no-load condition for a few minutes to break in the new belt – however – had a problem getting the ZTR to move (only moved VERY slowly). Looked at the transmission drive belt with engine running, appeared to have a lot of ‘slop’. Shut engine off, pulled on the transmission drive belt, definite ‘slop’ in its tension – BUT – when I pulled on the belt, also noticed the engine ‘moved’ slightly (not good). Whaaaat?

Grabbed the engine and found I could move it, so looked under the ZTR and found all 4 bolts that secure the engine to the frame missing.

Briefly considered trying to raise engine end of ZTR and then drilling/tapping the 3 sheared bolt stubs to remove them but more effort required for that than I can currently muster (I’m an old guy).

Took my IS700Z to my closest Ferris sales/service/parts store (not where I bought my Ferris). Explained my problem and asked if they could get the Kaw. Engine secured to the frame again (yes they can). Surprisingly (to me), they said “yeah we’ve seen this a couple times before and have had to remove engine / drill and tap bolt stubs out / install new bolts – and in once instance we had to replace the aluminum engine crankcase cover because the 4 x threaded portions of the cover where the bolts secure the engine to the frame had buggered threads”.
I had a similar issue with my 1500. Wondered why the deck moved when engaging the PTO. I use two electric hoists in my workshop to raise the whole mower, mostly for changing blades (every day), and found 3 bolts missing, and one about to fall out. The only thing keeping the engine in place was the muffler bracket. I was able to restore two bolts, but had to drill two feet on the engine frame and use grade 8 bolts with lock nuts.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
had to drill two feet on the engine frame and use grade 8 bolts with lock nuts.
Why stop there? I would safety wire the engine bolts so you would never have to worry about this again. Little thread locker.........
1683448622842.png

todd thom

Forum Newbie
Threads

todd thom

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same problem early on. I now have 450 hours on it with Kawasaki engine. i thought I was about to throw a rod by the sound. It was the engine mounting bolts. I checked and tightened the bolts to never have trouble again with that. Did burn out a pully but easily replaced that with no need for dealer billing. I push the crap out of my mower and have never had any problems, replace a few fuel filters and the fuel pump once and tha't's it. Most reliable mower I 've ever had. Bought in 2013. I jury rigged the safety switch to accommodate a suspension seat. Comfy. LOVE THIS MOWER

todd thom

Forum Newbie
Threads
Almost all the issues I've read about regarding Ferris seems to stem from lack of maintenance. I truly believe that many owners don't know how to use a grease gun, change oils, especially changing the HST drive oil at least every two years. Wheel bearings? Probably never greased them, spindles? same thing. These are annual or bi-annual chores depending on hours and quality of the grease.
Cheap is as cheap goes...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Almost all the issues I've read about regarding Ferris seems to stem from lack of maintenance. I truly believe that many owners don't know how to use a grease gun, change oils, especially changing the HST drive oil at least every two years. Wheel bearings? Probably never greased them, spindles? same thing. These are annual or bi-annual chores depending on hours and quality of the grease.
Cheap is as cheap goes...
Put cooling fins at the top of your must clean list.