Is this rare? Or just rare to me?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I picked up 93 model (S# 062393S 011863) Craftsman 917.255980. With a Kohler opposed twin MV18S 58556. If I'm not mistaken, this is my first Kohler opposed twin to run across. Some of you pro's have probably seen a ton of them. Maybe they just weren't popular down here in Texas back then.

I just got it in yesterday. I tinkered with it for a few minutes. It turns over, but not getting any spark. It's pretty rusty. But not even close to being rusted through.

This is gonna be fun to play with.
KohlerOT.jpg
KohlerOT2.jpgCherylsCraftsman.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've seen one or two, not as common (or I hadn't seen any) as the Briggs opposed twins in my area.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler made several configurations over the years. The Original KT series from like 17-19-21-23 hp engines and the M and MV in 16-18-20 hp engines.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Who came out with the opposed twin first? Briggs or Kohler?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have that same mower, same engine. Mine has a three speed gear box with high and low final drive. Best sounding twin I've heard. Mowing is not that great and the speed is either too slow or too fast, but I like to mow with it - just because I guess. I've pulled cars up the hill into the garage with it. Only thing I've run into with it has been the charging system, magnets came off the flywheel. Good old school machine.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
LOL.. First rattle out of the bat, find it to have a bad coil. Stens wants $183. I'm reluctant. But looks like I'll have to go with on of these cheap Amazon coils.
I have that same mower, same engine. Mine has a three speed gear box with high and low final drive. Best sounding twin I've heard. Mowing is not that great and the speed is either too slow or too fast, but I like to mow with it - just because I guess. I've pulled cars up the hill into the garage with it. Only thing I've run into with it has been the charging system, magnets came off the flywheel. Good old school machine.

This twin cylinder tecumseh is the best I've heard so far. But I do like the way the V twin Kohler sounds on this same mower. I have one (with the V twin) for sale at the moment. And when it cranks up, the customers eyes get a little excited. Same as the Tecumseh.
I was just looking at the Stens prices for some of this stuff. $183 for a coil. $53 for the carb kit. $96 for the fuel pump.

The customer just told me to keep it, since the coil was so high. Apparently it has been sitting for a long time. And when their other mower died, they decided to see about getting this one fixed before they went and bought a new one.

I can't wait to hear it crank up.

Plumberroy

Threads
I had a 1990 or 91 Craftsman GT 6000 same mower but the Kohler twin was a horizontal shaft. I sold it to my brother in law about a year after I moved here . My reasoning was 1. To big for this yard and my storage room. 2. I had just bought a new Grillo G85D walk behind tractor with a tiller attachment and mower deck , all I needed was that my stihl weed eater and the snow the Craftsman snow blower I bought when we moved here. Need and want are 2 different things 3. My brother in law needed something to mow some half way steep and rough areas on his property. I is the only mower I have ever regretted selling. Reason 3 was true . Reason 2 although true was not rational with someone like myself and most of us who frequent forums like this. Reason 1 :ROFLMAO: storage I have 2 Walk behind tractors, a rider 2 push mowers, snow blower yard vacuum wheeled string trimmer generator 3 extra implements and a sulky for the walking tractors. And 8 bicycles

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Darn'dest thing, I just got another one in this week. Only difference is this last one doesn't have the high/low trans.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
LOL.. First rattle out of the bat, find it to have a bad coil. Stens wants $183. I'm reluctant. But looks like I'll have to go with on of these cheap Amazon coils.

This twin cylinder tecumseh is the best I've heard so far. But I do like the way the V twin Kohler sounds on this same mower. I have one (with the V twin) for sale at the moment. And when it cranks up, the customers eyes get a little excited. Same as the Tecumseh.
I was just looking at the Stens prices for some of this stuff. $183 for a coil. $53 for the carb kit. $96 for the fuel pump.

The customer just told me to keep it, since the coil was so high. Apparently it has been sitting for a long time. And when their other mower died, they decided to see about getting this one fixed before they went and bought a new one.

I can't wait to hear it crank up.
Stens is probably just reselling Kohler OEM parts here.

Go to OPE Engines as that coil (52584102-s) is only 123.95 with free shipping. carburetor repair kit (2575711-S) 17.95 and the fuel pump kit (52 559 03-S ) is 66.25. And you would over $90 if you order all time at the same time the shipping is free. Plus these are OEM parts and not aftermarket.