Is electric the way to go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutoMechanic

Threads
My parents bought a Milwaukee weed eater. That thing was total crap and I hate to say that as I’m a Milwaukee guy at heart. It got hot very quickly too. Returned next day and I bought them a Stihl. I advised them not to buy it but they still did then they regretted it. So no electric is not the way to go. At least not yet not till they improve them to last long term. Also one big problem was the string kept getting in a bind too.

smhardesty

Threads
My parents bought a Milwaukee weed eater. That thing was total crap and I hate to say that as I’m a Milwaukee guy at heart. It got hot very quickly too. Returned next day and I bought them a Stihl. I advised them not to buy it but they still did then they regretted it. So no electric is not the way to go. At least not yet not till they improve them to last long term. Also one big problem was the string kept getting in a bind too.
That Worx trimmer I have also has a problem with the line. It refuses to feed line like it's supposed to. It is supposedly an auto advancing head, but it won't feed. I'll run it for a short bit, then have to stop and turn it upside down to get new line to feed out. It has been this way since the day it was new. I kind of like it because it's so light, which SHOULD make it a pleasure to use, but by the time I get done fliiping it upside down about a dozen times to advance line, it's like I have been wrestling a bear all afternoon. I'd have done less work if I had used a gas powered trimmer.

AutoMechanic

Threads
That Worx trimmer I have also has a problem with the line. It refuses to feed line like it's supposed to. It is supposedly an auto advancing head, but it won't feed. I'll run it for a short bit, then have to stop and turn it upside down to get new line to feed out. It has been this way since the day it was new. I kind of like it because it's so light, which SHOULD make it a pleasure to use, but by the time I get done fliiping it upside down about a dozen times to advance line, it's like I have been wrestling a bear all afternoon. I'd have done less work if I had used a gas powered trimmer.
Yeah that’s exactly what we had to do with the Milwaukee. It was definitely light but too much of a hassle and no fun maintenance lol. The Stihl I bought is a bit heavier.

smhardesty

Threads
Yeah that’s exactly what we had to do with the Milwaukee. It was definitely light but too much of a hassle and no fun maintenance lol. The Stihl I bought is a bit heavier.
I'm thinking really hard about keeping one of these McCulloch trimmers I got hold of for myself. I bought a few from a business being liquidated. The owner's cousin is selling it all off after the owner passed away. They are all factory refurbished units, but had been setting in that guy's shop so long that all the primer bulbs and fuel lines had turned brittle as glass. The first two I have worked on just needed a little TLC and they now run perfectly. I'm still trying to get the clutch shoes cleaned up on one of them so they release like they should. I'll get it sooner or later, even if I have to tear it down and remove the clutch to clean everything up. I'm hoping the next couple don't have any problems like this, but even if they do, I got them cheaply enough to make it well worthwhile to fix them for resell. I'm thinking one of these trimmers would last me for quite a few years.

Gord Baker

Threads
My Battery powered Makita Drills are always good for 0-1/2 Holes.
No thanks. Batteries cost more than a Drill! NFG.

smhardesty

Threads
Batteries cost more than a Drill!
Yes they do! That's why I quit screwing with any and all battery powered power tools. I now have corded tools that I use in the garage. They are a one time expense that last me for years and years. I use the stuff so little it takes a whole lot of years for them to wear out. The only thing I really use with any regularity are a really old drill from Harbor Freight that I use a wire wheel on to clean blades before sharpening and balancing and also to buff all the grass and dirt from the underside of the deck if I'm going to paint and seal it, an el cheapo Hyper Tough side arm grinder to sharpen blades, and then I'll now add in the Work Shop Tool Sharpener if I work on a blade that is in pretty god shape.

I do have the cordless drill that came with the Worx tool kit I got. I might grab it if I've only got one or two holes to drill or maybe a half a handful of screws to drive. If it's a bigger project, I pull out one of my corded drills and get to work.

I'm waiting for somebody to bring in a gas powered blower that they don't want to spend much money on. I'll then refurb it for my own use. This Worx blower eats batteries like I eat candy. If I have allowed the leaves to get even a little stacked up around the house, I can't make it completely around the house on two batteries. I contacted them about it and we went back and forth a few times. I know there were several suggestions, but the one that REALLY got me was when they told me to be sure and turn the blower off as I come to empty spots with no leaves. No kidding. I guess they think a guy is supposed to keep flipping the thing on and off, and on and off as he walks around. They must not truly understand how a guy blows leaves away from the house. I don't know about other guys, but when I start in I'm never without leaves in front of me as I work my way around the house. Maybe I'm supposed to run out there and blow leaves every morning and every night so there are places without leaves where I can turn the thing off. Seems a little ridiculous to me. It makes more sense to get my hands on a gas powered blower so I can head out and do all the blowing of leaves I want. But, I'm just a dumb farm boy from Southern Illinois. I guess city folks do things differently than I do. LOL!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When comes to drills the battery powered Dewalt I had in the past was very good. But the charger finally gave up the ghost. And cheaper B&D drill fail rather quickly but it wasn't the batteries but was the motor brushes that failed. Not even sure I go with another Dewalt now as things are a lot cheaply made.

smhardesty

Threads
When comes to drills the battery powered Dewalt I had in the past was very good. But the charger finally gave up the ghost. And cheaper B&D drill fail rather quickly but it wasn't the batteries but was the motor brushes that failed. Not even sure I go with another Dewalt now as things are a lot cheaply made.
I think you have mentioned a common problem with products in general. Quality was once first and foremost for any product manufactured in the US of A and a few overseas countries. I can't speak for products made overseas that aren't imported to the US of A, but quality of products in the US of A has really taken a hit. Here is such an example.

On July 9th, 2022, my wife and I purchased a new freezer, cook stove, and freezer from Lowe's. The freezer was placed in the garage and was never a problem. The delivery company that Lowe's uses sent two delivery guys that refused to remove the foam and plastic protection from the stove. They literally left our home and the stove was sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, still wrapped in the plastic and foam. They told us that only a licensed plumber could connect a gas line. Hey, I can't make stuff like this up. That was a bare faced lie. They also refused to push the refrigerator into the cubby hole where it was supposed to sit. They did plug the electric cord in, but refused to connect the water supply line for the ice maker. When I got the water connected I pushed it back into it's proper place and proceeded to level it. This was a brand new, Frigidaire fridge. There were NO leveling devices of any kind on this thing. NOTHING. And this is where we began a horrible journey.

We ended up having two different Frigidaire refrigerators delivered and neither one had any type of leveling devices on them at all. We finally agreed to pay additional money to get a Whirlpool that SUPPOSEDLY had leveling legs. The first Whirlpool showed up and it did NOT have leveling legs. What it had were two very small and very weak "anti-tip legs". We found out later that pretty much all manufacturers of refrigerators have decide to remove the leveling legs or leveling wheels from standard sized refrigerators. I wonder what idiot thought that crap up.

That wasn't the real problem. The day after the first Whirlpool showed up, we noticed ice forming in the top of the freezer compartment. The seal on the freezer door had been wrinkled somehow. I called Lowe's and they refused to deal with the problem saying that this problem was to be referred to Whirlpool. It took about a dozen calls to Whilrpool to finally get a "certified" repairman to come take a look. It took three different visits by this clod before I finally called Whirlpool and raised the devil over the clod not being able to fix the problem. They sent a different repairman and what happened next blew my mind.

This guy was a top notch repairman., He really did know his stuff, and I'm not being sarcastic. He was good. It took him less than 5 minutes to tell me we needed a whole new refrigerator. I told him that was fine. Whatever it took to get a fridge in my kitchen that could be kind of leveled and didn't leak was great. He went out to his truck to call Whirlpool and I sat down in my recliner. He wasn't gone 2 minutes and came right back in. He had a tape measure in his hand and said, "I might as well get these measurements because they are going to want to know." I was a little confused. He measured the depth of the box, not including the doors, on the top and on the bottom for both sides. I asked what he was doing and he told me what the measurements were. The fridge was 3/4" deeper on the top right than on the top left. It was 1 1/4" deeper on the bottom right than on the bottom left. No kidding! Since he said he knew they would want those measurements, I asked him just how often this kind of crap happened. He told me that he spends about half his time doing nothing more than measuring these refrigerators and ordering new ones.

Now, THINK about that for just a minute. This wasn't a fluke. This repairman and Whirlpool BOTH were aware that a whole mess of Whirlpool refrigerators were that far out of whack. It happened so often that it took one phone call and within 5 or 6 minutes of this guy calling the company they had a whole new fridge scheduled for delivery. Now, recall I said we bought the new appliances on July 9th of last year. The new fridge, with the weak little "anti-tip legs", that actually worked as it should, was delivered on January 12th. Yep, it took just over 6 months to get a refrigerator that worked in my house.

And the icing on the cake? The dip stick delivery guys that delivered the second fridge really screwed up. They parked the truck out on the street instead of backing into my drive. I'm guessing the driver had problems backing up. Then, in their infinite wisdom, they decided to roll the fridge onto the lift gate, lower it to the street, roll it out on the street, jockey it around, and THEN put it on a dolly. I didn't see them doing that or I would have stopped them. The street we live on is more like a country road. It's more of an oil and chip or cheapseal road. It was August. It was hot. The tar was bubbling up. Yep, they rolled that fridge around in the tar, then brought it into our kitchen, took it off the dolly, and began scooting and twisting it to get it over near where it could be plugged in. Just about the time they were getting close to having it where they could plug it in, I heard one of them say, "Oh, shit!" I went in the kitchen and they had covered my floor with tar. When they got done plugging the fridge in, they just left. I tried getting the tar up using Dawn, but it wasn't working. I switched to Goof Off and it worked. It took me an hour and 45 minutes to get it all up. When I was done, I sat down on the couch in the living room. The way our house is laid out, from the living room you look directly into the kitchen through a wide opening between the two rooms. When I looked across the kitchen floor, I could see every place I had used the Goof Off. I had taken photos of the tar all over the floor and I then took photos of what happened when I used the Goof Off. I ended up having to file a claim with the company that delivers for Lowe's. We ended up having to have a whole new kitchen floor put down.

So, the whole fridge thing was one, huge nightmare. 6 months, 4 refrigerators, and one kitchen floor later, everything is finally the way it SHOULD have been the first week of July, last year. Whirlpool's quality control? Completely nonexistent.

smhardesty

Threads
I just ran across this video a little while ago. This is the kind of thing we have all been talking about. How in the world can Lowe's, or any other big box store, continue to sell cheap, Chinese crap to the public with absolutely no way to repair the stuff? I'd hate to think just how totally ticked off I'd be if I paid $600 for a mower and two years later it's a boat anchor. This is exactly what happened with that Pulsar mower I was trying to refurbish. Cheap junk. Period.

Thalweg

Threads
I just ran across this video a little while ago. This is the kind of thing we have all been talking about. How in the world can Lowe's, or any other big box store, continue to sell cheap, Chinese crap to the public with absolutely no way to repair the stuff? I'd hate to think just how totally ticked off I'd be if I paid $600 for a mower and two years later it's a boat anchor. This is exactly what happened with that Pulsar mower I was trying to refurbish. Cheap junk. Period.

I watched this last night. I couldn't believe that all that holds the blade is a cheap plastic fan, and that a couple little plastic "nubbins" are all that keep the blade from spinning on the fan. It's the most toy-like design I've ever seen. If you read through the comments, the part number is identified through the original manufacturer (Greenworks), but, of coarse, it's out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.