Is 2HP a big difference?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turbocharged TLA Clarks with integral gas compressors .

SamB

Threads
Turbocharged TLA Clarks with integral gas compressors .
Those Wartzillas(Godzilla's) used to be built close to where I live. A connecting rod nut weighed over 500 pounds. Sometimes,a couple of hp don't amount to much.
On a more serious side, I have several Briggs 500cc engines,one a 19hp and another is a 17.5 engine,the other one has no hp declaration,just a 500cc PowerBuilt. I have swapped them about some and I cannot tell any difference from one to another. Horsepower means little, torque is the king.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Long ago I had a 42" w/ 17.5 hp, & it struggled thru taller grass.. Next & got a 46" w/ 20hp. Breezed right thru same deal..

But agree Torque is the thing.

Attachments

• Wartsilla (godzillia).jpg
    Wartsilla (godzillia).jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your mention of marine engines assisted in my recollection of the MEP engine i operated and maintained . A submarine engine during WWll had 2 cranks , upper and lower and of course , opposed piston so no heads . Worst engine i was ever involved with . I doubt any MEP contributed to winning WWll .

Attachments

• MEP -eng -22.JPG
    MEP -eng -22.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 1
  • MEP engine-22.JPG
    MEP engine-22.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Long ago I had a 42" w/ 17.5 hp, & it struggled thru taller grass.. Next & got a 46" w/ 20hp. Breezed right thru same deal..

Just think how I am doing with my 42" that had a 16.5 hp which now has a 21 hp on it. Just had to upgrade the deck belt as that 1/2" belt just couldn't handle the power. Started out barely able to cut slightly overgrown grass and now the walks thru 12+" grass.

SamB

Threads
Your mention of marine engines assisted in my recollection of the MEP engine i operated and maintained . A submarine engine during WWll had 2 cranks , upper and lower and of course , opposed piston so no heads . Worst engine i was ever involved with . I doubt any MEP contributed to winning WWll .
Anything like the Fairbanks opposed piston Diamond engine.
(this probably needs moved to the Front Porch)

SamB

Threads

Was the 20hp a v twin?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just think how I am doing with my 42" that had a 16.5 hp which now has a 21 hp on it. Just had to upgrade the deck belt as that 1/2" belt just couldn't handle the power. Started out barely able to cut slightly overgrown grass and now the walks thru 12+" grass.
Yes .
You can go too far down the bigger is better road
Oe of the local makes just kept on putting bigger & bigger engines in their mowers
Originally they were 7 x 24" , 8 x 30" 8.5 x 32
They ran standard polly V belts so were cheap to run and despite having the small decks can out cut most 42" ZTR's & run rings around any tractor style mower.
The name Fast Cut was quite accurate they are way faster than "the worlds faster mower" but that is of course if you accept that the USA is not the entire world.
Any way there things are great and a couple of my part time commercial customers use them particularly for rough cutting 4' tall weeds.
Plain belts , bushes on the deck lift cork plate varidrives so they ru forever and cost nothing to run.
Company got taken over by idiots who just kept on putting bigger engines in them
So the last model, before they went to the wall had a 26 Hp V twin driving the 34" deck
It ate kevlar belts and drive chains to the point that older models second hand were pulling higher prices than the current model new
I have slipped some 10Hp intecks into a few and those customers are pleased as punch with them .