Ironton Gen. DF400H-3410

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are different ways to manufacturers wire up portable generators. If engine is running at approx 3600 and you have 183v at the outlet most likely the AVR is bad. Have you checked the 240v outlet voltage? Across the 2 hots, each hot to the neutral.
Most portable generators with 240v will have 2 separate 120v outlets with each one using a hot leg of the 240 to neutral so you can utilize all the generator's power into 2 120v circuits. Looks like that one only has one duplex receptacle so they are either just using one leg of the 240 or they have split the outlet with a different leg to each socket. You can test it by measuring between the two hots of the receptacle. Zero volts on one leg. 240v means the receptacle is split using both 240v legs.
View attachment 55198

Checked the 220v legs and got the same 180V.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got the new AVR installed. And it drastically reduced the voltage. But brought it down too much. At 3,600 and 3700, the voltage is the same. 105 to 106. Under a load (heat gun on high) and it increases the one circuit to 112. But drops the other to about 97v.
I'm testing the L1/2 & R1/2 in the back of the generator.

This gen only has one 120 outlet, with two plugs. And the 220.

Customer say he put too much of a load on it a couple of times and it through the switch. I'm not sure what he meant by switch. It doesn't have a circuit breaker. Unless the on/off switch doubles as one.

BTW, I was watching a video earlier. (It looked home made) But the guy says you can turn the tiny screw on the back of the AVR clockwise, and it'll increase the voltage. I don't trust the guy, so I thought I run it passed you guys.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you install a new avr on most generators you need to adjust the voltage. Different folks do it different. Usually same result. Screw is uaually on the back of the avr. Let it hang on the wires. Hook up a voltmeter and a tach or meter that does frequency. Start it up and no load should be running at 3750 rpm. Adjust avr screw to 120v. Clockwise to oncrease voltage. Apply a load close to the max of the generator's running watts. Rpm should drop to about 3600 or 60Hz and voltage should still be 120v. If not tweak avr to 120v. Then check 240v outlet voltage. Should be double the 120v outlet. Just the way i do it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you install a new avr on most generators you need to adjust the voltage. Different folks do it different. Usually same result. Screw is uaually on the back of the avr. Let it hang on the wires. Hook up a voltmeter and a tach or meter that does frequency. Start it up and no load should be running at 3750 rpm. Adjust avr screw to 120v. Clockwise to oncrease voltage. Apply a load close to the max of the generator's running watts. Rpm should drop to about 3600 or 60Hz and voltage should still be 120v. If not tweak avr to 120v. Then check 240v outlet voltage. Should be double the 120v outlet. Just the way i do it.

I turned that screw a full turn and nothing changed. Then my parts came in for a commercial customer and had to leave it for the day.

Thanks for the info on this.