Intermittent cranking on Tiger Cub

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Troops,
The intermittent cranking problem on my Tiger Cub got worse today as I was servicing it so I got into it with a colored wiring diagram that I downloaded from the Scag site. Nice to have a color coded diagram!!! I removed the control panel from the left hand fuel tank and beginning at the starter solenoid started checking for power with a clip on test light. I decided to disconnect each connector and clean it and the engine harness connector was the problem. Now the engine cranks over every time, and I finished the 50 HR service but didn't replace the blades yet as I still have a few customers that need the spring cleanup done. I also serviced several other pieces of equipment particularly my wood chipper which needed new blades and an oil change.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today I raked, dethatched, and mowed several customers properties. The lack of rain here in CT has caused the grass to stop growing and the dust problem is bad.
However it is great to climb onto my Tiger Cub and have it crank the engine every time!!! With the current dust problem, the connectors will get dirty soon and I am considering wrapping them with electrical tape to hopefully seal out the dust. After every mowing I remove the air filter from the 26 B&S engine and shake it out by banging it on one of the deck wheels and the dust comes flowing out!!! I replace the air filter when the shade of white of the filter interior starts to turn beige. This spring I have been replacing filters every 12-16 hours!! I may need to buy a second case of filters, they come in a 4 pack.
My commercial mower buddies are already crying poverty because of the lack of rain, for sure no clogging problems on mower decks this season so far!!!!
I got out of the snow removal business several years ago and maybe this year will be the one that I get out of the mowing business!!!:confused2:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Troops,
Did more dusty dethatching with collection system running and the cranking circuit is back to intermittent. I unplugged the engine harness connector and it was dirty again, so I'm going to do something different and possibly direct connect the wiring that is in this connector. All the battery power for the machine comes thru this connector, the engine shutdown circuit, the engine cranking circuit, the charging circuit, and the fuel solenoid, so it is an important connector. The relay that is close to the key switch controls the cranking circuit in conjunction with the safety switches and in turn is also affected by the control module and the PTO switch.
Anyway it is fairly complex circuitry and needs to be carefully traced when doing electrical troubleshooting.
When I am dethatching with the mower deck and collection system operating, the dust around the entine machine particularly around the engine is extreme. I wear a dust mask, 3M # 8511, goggles, a hat, and hearing protection and the machine and I get covered with dust.