Intermittent Black Smoke From B&S 44r677-0021

cpete777

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 14mo old Craftsman T3000 with the 22hp B&S. It has been fine up until yesterday when it started dropping RPMs and belching black smoke every 8 - 14 seconds.
Checked spark plugs and right cylinder was black. Replaced spark plugs, had same symptoms. This time both plugs turned black instantly. Changed air filter and fuel filter with no change. Drained gas and put fresh premium gas in...no change. It seems to get better if you let it run through about 15 sputter cycles. I've attached a video for reference. Sorry about the orientation, but you get the gist of the problem. The fluid on the ground in the video is water from the coolers, not the engine. Any ideas? Thanks.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Wouldn't a 14 month old motor be under warranty?

cpete777

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman mowers have a 12mo warranty.

cpete777

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did some more checking. There is some contradicting documentation on the Sears website, but it looks like there is a 24mo warranty. I guess I'll give that a try.

cpete777

Forum Newbie
Threads
Letting it sit overnight with premium gas mixed with Startron fuel additive in it seems to have fixed the problem. If it comes back I'll have to exercise the warranty.