Intek twin 24hp OHV engine surges only when hot

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When i ask what spark plug i mean what is the number. The standard plug is probably a RC12YC. Air cooled OPE engines have no temperature regulation like an automotive engine. If the engine is running hotter than normal you may need to run a step cooler RC10YC plug.

Chucksrt

Threads
They were so new when I installed them and then pulled them that they were still clean. I didn't notice anything other than that. I can look again tomorrow.

did you notice the color of the spark plug ends?

Chucksrt

Threads
I will check tomorrow. I will order new plugs as well just in case.

When i ask what spark plug i mean what is the number. The standard plug is probably a RC12YC. Air cooled OPE engines have no temperature regulation like an automotive engine. If the engine is running hotter than normal you may need to run a step cooler RC10YC plug.

Chucksrt

Threads
That number isn't on the plugs!. Here is a pic. Do you know what the gap should be set to?
Thanks Chuck

Attachments

• 20200811_142853.jpg
    20200811_142853.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 8

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Champion RC14YC and RC14YC012 show as the champion plugs to replace the briggs plug.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That number isn't on the plugs!. Here is a pic. Do you know what the gap should be set to?
Thanks Chuck
That is the champion RC14YC. I would replace with RC12YC and see what happens. This is a step cooler plug

Chucksrt

Threads
I just cut the lawn and for haha' I removed the front body cover (it has the headlights built into it) and it ran fine. Do you think that because its holding the engine heat in that it is causing the issue? It can't help that it's painted black either. It gets hot when it's not running. I think i will still switch to the cooler plug and see how it runs with/without the front cover.

That is the champion RC14YC. I would replace with RC12YC and see what happens. This is a step cooler plug

wrldtvlr

Threads
I just cut the lawn and for haha' I removed the front body cover (it has the headlights built into it) and it ran fine. Do you think that because its holding the engine heat in that it is causing the issue? It can't help that it's painted black either. It gets hot when it's not running. I think i will still switch to the cooler plug and see how it runs with/without the front cover.
I think you may be confusing the operating temperature of the engine and the spark plug temperature rating. This link may help if you are interested in the details. Summary is that a cooler plug may help if you are seeing preignition, but I don't think it will do anything for surging or overtemp.