Hello to all and thanks for taking the time to read.
Model 311777
Type 0143-E1
Code 000914ZD
A customer brought in a Sabre 42” w/ this engine for a no start. I found the spark plug bore had been heli-coiled some time in the past, and the coil had been working its way into the cylinder over time. Only about 4 threads of contact on the end of the spark plug and pushing 10 PSI.
Customer thought on it for a day and asked us to repair, and if it runs then service/inspect mower, change oil & filters, and sharpen blades.
I used a threaded insert like this one, set it in red threadlock over night. This morning, I thoroughly cleaned the debris out of the cylinder using combinations of shop air and brake cleaner, then tried to start at full choke.
It took off almost immediately and ran very smoothly. I took it to a grassy area next to the shop, put the deck down and run the blades for 15 minutes to get everything warmed up good - the whole time the engine ran smoothly and responded surprisingly well to changes in speed and load - then return it to the shop for the oil change including fuel filter.
I had other repairs I was alternating on, so it sat for most of the afternoon before I started it since changing the oil and filters. I put 1 quart of oil in it before moving on to the other repairs, and that was just above the full mark with the dipstick fully seated - I was going to recheck after running it a few minutes.
I’m not sure this has much to do with it, but I did have to siphon the oil out of the dipstick tube because the drain plug is seized and it didn’t seem worth the time/effort to get it out because the engine had just run so well.
Now, it’s cranking unevenly like it’s out of time, and after 5-6 revolutions it snaps off a near-deafening backfire in the full choke position.
The plug is damp with fuel but not wet, so I don’t think it’s flooding to the point of hydro-lock.
Pulling the air filter and it’s obvious that pressure is escaping into the intake as well.
Valve clearances at TDC were:
Int. .005 (Adjusted to .004)
Exh. .002 (Adjusted to .005)
Cranking speed/consistency improved a little, but still no start and backfires in the full choke position. Any other speed and it just cranks but no backfire.
I haven’t yet checked compression, but will do so in the morning.
I’m at a loss for what could’ve happened.
Thanks.
Model 311777
Type 0143-E1
Code 000914ZD
A customer brought in a Sabre 42” w/ this engine for a no start. I found the spark plug bore had been heli-coiled some time in the past, and the coil had been working its way into the cylinder over time. Only about 4 threads of contact on the end of the spark plug and pushing 10 PSI.
Customer thought on it for a day and asked us to repair, and if it runs then service/inspect mower, change oil & filters, and sharpen blades.
I used a threaded insert like this one, set it in red threadlock over night. This morning, I thoroughly cleaned the debris out of the cylinder using combinations of shop air and brake cleaner, then tried to start at full choke.
It took off almost immediately and ran very smoothly. I took it to a grassy area next to the shop, put the deck down and run the blades for 15 minutes to get everything warmed up good - the whole time the engine ran smoothly and responded surprisingly well to changes in speed and load - then return it to the shop for the oil change including fuel filter.
I had other repairs I was alternating on, so it sat for most of the afternoon before I started it since changing the oil and filters. I put 1 quart of oil in it before moving on to the other repairs, and that was just above the full mark with the dipstick fully seated - I was going to recheck after running it a few minutes.
I’m not sure this has much to do with it, but I did have to siphon the oil out of the dipstick tube because the drain plug is seized and it didn’t seem worth the time/effort to get it out because the engine had just run so well.
Now, it’s cranking unevenly like it’s out of time, and after 5-6 revolutions it snaps off a near-deafening backfire in the full choke position.
The plug is damp with fuel but not wet, so I don’t think it’s flooding to the point of hydro-lock.
Pulling the air filter and it’s obvious that pressure is escaping into the intake as well.
Valve clearances at TDC were:
Int. .005 (Adjusted to .004)
Exh. .002 (Adjusted to .005)
Cranking speed/consistency improved a little, but still no start and backfires in the full choke position. Any other speed and it just cranks but no backfire.
I haven’t yet checked compression, but will do so in the morning.
I’m at a loss for what could’ve happened.
Thanks.