Indycar driver Dan Weldon

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never paid much attention to the news of car racing, but the magazines I subscribe to and the newspapers keep publishing stories about his death. I have never understood the purpose of auto racing in the first place, it's basically a huge waste of fuel and tires. Used to be the big 3 automakers could develop their cars becuz of racing but those days are long gone, now it's nothing but commercial enterprises and no room for the independent teams on a budget. Anyone here follow the races? BTW, I had an uncle (Larry Dickson) who raced in the Indy 500 several times as well as being involved in several other types of racing. Yet I never picked up any interest in the sport.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had a few friends that raced open wheeled cars. 500+- Hp v8, a type of sprint car but not as fast. On several occasions i helped out in the pits when asked.
I went to Daytona for the 400 mile race in July once. I left after 20 laps. The price on the ticket was 275$ and this was 15 years ago. I did not enjoy NASCAR, doesn't hold my attention.
It seems to me the guys that like to race have been in it or generations. It's not something you just jump into. It's a significant investment of time and money. You have to really love it. The guys I raced with were truly addicted, spent every dime and every minute either working on the car, getting ready and to the track, or racing.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had a few friends that raced open wheeled cars. 500+- Hp v8, a type of sprint car but not as fast. On several occasions i helped out in the pits when asked.
I went to Daytona for the 400 mile race in July once. I left after 20 laps. The price on the ticket was 275$ and this was 15 years ago. I did not enjoy NASCAR, doesn't hold my attention.
It seems to me the guys that like to race have been in it or generations. It's not something you just jump into. It's a significant investment of time and money. You have to really love it. The guys I raced with were truly addicted, spent every dime and every minute either working on the car, getting ready and to the track, or racing.

Yup...most of the Nascar racers today are the kids of the famous names in the past and that is all I pay attention to. MIS (Michigan International Speedway) is an hour and a half south of me, my dad and I attended several Nascar races there back in the late 60's but I never got interested. $275 for a ticket 15 years ago???!!! What a ripoff.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads

your avatar scares me!:eek:.....i hope thats not a self portrait!:laughing:

Black Bart

Threads
When I was much younger I drove a sprint car for about 10 years, I loved it always liked driving fast still do.
I was talking to a guy yesterday at the doctors office and he had went to St Louis over the weekend playing horse shoe.
He said people was from California and all over the country.
That took a lot of fuel also.

The same person who complains about someones sport will do something just as bad but they don't think so because it is what they like.
I would never see how far I could hit a golf ball then go chase after it just to hit it again but if that is what turns you on it is ok with me.

I don't care for the red neck stock car racing, Nascar and Indy car is Big Business now days it is all about the money that is why you see so many drivers going to Nascar the money is insane.

benski

Threads
Chariot racing, horse racing, snowmobile racing, footraces; I don't think it matters. The desire for mankind to build fast things, go faster than the next person, and be able to collect money or bragging rights has been with us for a very long time. A bunch of the technology that we now take for granted in late model premium passenger cars was developed at the race track. Full-time four wheel drive, ABS from aircraft, active suspension, disc brakes, fuel injection, engine management systems, tire technology, etc.,etc.
Just for the record, almost all oval racing bores me to tears to watch.:frown:
Just my $.02.