Increasing rear tire size on Toro 42 inch Timecutter

Imajkrsl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I did complete the installation and am extremely pleased with the results. Can’t say that I have identified any negatives from the changes I’ve made. It has provided a noticeable improvement in the overall traction. Especially when wet.
I did this exact same tire/wheel swap on my Toro 75746 42" Timecutter that I purchased new in March 2023. All I needed was the larger tires/wheels and not the Titan wheel spacers. The inside offset of the wheels of the larger Toro tires/wheels (18x9.5-8) is exactly the same as the inside offset of the smaller Toro tires/wheels (18x7.5-8) that came installed on my mower. The mower does handle much better, and I did not have to re-level the deck after installing the larger Toro tires/wheels. I've listed the links below for the larger Toro tires/whees, as well as the Titan 1.5" wheel spacers (which I did not need). You may or may not need the wheel spacers depending upon your model. Torque specs for Toro rear tire lug nuts is 75/ft lbs. Photos are below. Right side before, right side after and left side after. The space between tires and hydro plate mounts did not change.

Link to tires: https://mowpart.com/tire-asm-139-5848/
Link to Titan 1.5" wheel spacers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G40ZEQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Attachments

• TRO.jpg
    TRO.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 6
  • TRN.jpg
    TRN.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 6
  • TLN.jpg
    TLN.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

packardv8

Threads
I've asked a couple of knowledgeable mower guys as to why homeowner-size ZT mowers have such small rear wheels compared to tractor-style mowers of the same deck size. No one could come up with a reason.

Also, the big dog commercial ZT mowers have man-size rear tires. One guess is smaller tires and wheels are just cheaper.

jack vines

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cheap low power hydro motors can only suppy a fixed maximum torque
So if yu put a big wheel then you can overload the hydro and it will just sit there and go nowhere

packardv8

Threads
While I don't know it to be true, I've been told the same hydro unit is used on both ZT and tractor mowers, as well as a wide range of motor horsepowers. Anyone confirm?

jack vines

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
While I don't know it to be true, I've been told the same hydro unit is used on both ZT and tractor mowers, as well as a wide range of motor horsepowers. Anyone confirm?

jack vines
Hydro Gear EZT are used on most entry level residential zero turns. Most tractor type mowers use a Tuff Torq K-46.

Imajkrsl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cheap low power hydro motors can only suppy a fixed maximum torque
So if yu put a big wheel then you can overload the hydro and it will just sit there and go nowhere
Ariens uses a larger rear tire on their 42" ICON, bigger than what is used on the Toro. The Ariens has the exact same hydros as the Toro. I don't think that increasing the tire width would have a negative effect on the Toro 42" ZTR, since the Toro 50" ZTR uses the exact same hydros.