In need of a new weed eater

atumsuden

Forum Newbie
Threads
My current weed eater needs some major repairs and I've had it for years so it's time to find a new one. I was using the default head which is such a pain to restring. I am looking for an affordable gas trimmer that will serve the purpose of trimming my lawn and that I can switch out a new head through screws, not bolts. Any help would be appreciated I'm trying not to go over the $200 mark but the lower the better.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you are wanting to stay on the cheap side then just buy one of the throw away on the market. Buy you will be disappointed as they usually fail in short order.

atumsuden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not sure if I would consider $200 on the cheap side considering I will have to invest in a new head as well. Do you know of any trimmers that offer heads that are screwed on and not bolted? I have a local shop and they have heads that are simple to restring and manage but they said they can only be screwed on from looking I haven't seen any that use screws over bolts.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most string in the $200+ range are straight shaft brush cutters. Echo has a speed head that is about a simple to restring as they get. Even the Homelite are around $200 for the straight shafts. For homeowner use they usually last about 5 yrs. For commercial use which even though I am homeowner is what I need due to having 6+ to trim along with some brush cutting. The Echo trimmer only last about 2 years under these conditions.

I currently have two Remington straight shafts in the shop. One only made it one month before it failed.

If you go with curve shaft versions then they are cheaper in both price and quality.

Threads
I have a Ryobi expand it gas trimmer straight shaft 2 cycle. They cost about $199. It has other attachments I can use with it. I have an edger, hedge trimmer, the weed eater, and the cultivator. The motor usually last five or six years and I have to replace it. The head on it is easy to feed the line. Every week I use it for an hour. It always starts up on the first pull. I use the TruFuel in it.

I did buy a Ryobi 18V battery trimmer for only $59 that my wife likes to use. Its light weight and seems to do a good job. It can run about an hour before you have to charge the battery. I have a lot of Ryobi 18V tools that use 18V batteries.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Curved shaft trimmers don't normally take a saw brush blade only straight shafts. FS 56 RC-E Stihl is a good choice retails at $239.95.
It will take a blade.

Threads
I notice the curved shaft is closer to your feet when using it so I don't use it at all.