Impulse Fuel Pump Rebuild

mechanizm

Threads
I took apart an impulse fuel pump and it's a simple creature with just diaphragm and one way valve. there's no reason to have to throw it away when it can be easily rebuilt, right? but there are no rebuild parts for these things....

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep, i've never seen a rebuild kit for one.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

mechanizm

Threads
Beside if you got some time those hockey pucks can got for under $7 including shipping if you want to support the Chinese.
yes, I have two dismantled and I'm trying to figure out how I can rebuild them. the only moving part is the rubber diaphragm and then there are two cheap thin plastic one-way valves. there must be a way...

mechanizm

Threads
yes, i have considered that option and I have several diaphragms from motorcycle carb rebuild kits. one of these pumps has a warped backflow valve so I have to figure something out for that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are lucky a supplier as Scrubbie linked to will either know what the right material is or have the gear to test a sample & work it out .
However you might need to buy it in complete sheets or complete rolls so spend several hundred buying enough material to make 10,000 in order to rebuild 2.
Many after market businesses have started off by just this exact route .
It just depends how much you value your time.
I fear it will be another case of the actual repair part being 1/4 of the value of posting it .
There is a reason why repair parts come in kits , usually because the logistical costs are so high they exceed the parts cost by several orders of magnitude and that is before wholesale & retail profits are added

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Knowing to repair an item vs cost to replace needs to be considered as Bert pointed out. As a shop spending a half hour making the parts vs just taking a few minutes to install a new just don't make sense.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A friend of mine designed an improved engine breather system for small engines
He sold the rights to several motorcycle companies for fitment to new engines and also made a retrofit kit for older ones.
He spent 5 years researching various check valves & check valve materials before he decided to make his own.
Down side was the rubber diaphragm material was $ 15,000 a sheet so after much hasseling the makers finally told him their customers and he tracked them down to see what they did with their scrap material.
So finally he could make a kit for under $ 100 ( US )
It was not economically viable , not because they did not work, they worked perfectly & I have fitted a dozen or more it was just Joe Public could not see the difference between his kit & installing a couple of off the shelf break valves which cost $ 5 each .
Even as scrap his diaphragms alone worked out at $ 10 a piece and that was just the materials cost .
OTOH it led him to establish a scrap business for exotic ( very expensive ) rubber / plastic composite sheeting which was very profitable .