I'm baffled!

MrGbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks,
I now have a new spark plug that sparks away nicely. Still not running though. I took the carb off and refitted the old one, It started for about half a second and then stopped. I have just blown down the fuel inlet on the new carb after blocking the air inlet and where the primer bulb should be and there's no air coming out at the part that joins the engine unless I blow quite hard.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The coil I bought was from Mr. Bezos website. It's description is "OuyFilters OxoxO Ignition Coil Compatible with 593872 799582 798534 Compatible with Briggs & Stratton 08P500 08P600 093J02 09P600 09P700". I borrowed a multi meter from my neighbour (I really need to get one of these) and tested both the new and the old coil. With the multi meter set @ 20k Ohms the original coil is coming back with a reading of around 8.87 so there was nothing wrong with it :rolleyes: Same with the new coil too.
I detemined no spark by taking the plug out, plugging it back into the HT lead and leaning it against the block whilst I had the wife pull the cord.
Are all the OEM Briggs coils gone now?

What's with Mr. Bozo and his "compatible" coils? Is this a Chinese clone coil?

Put the meter back in the drawer. Lock the drawer with a TIG welder. Coils either work or they don't. Wasn't this already covered on the last page?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually electronics don't throw off the resistance. The SMT board actually has a high resistance than coils primary which around 1.7 ohms. This because coil' primary winding directly to the kill tab and is grounded on the other end to the coil's metal core. The problem is you can't test the electronics. And BTW the Briggs coils are not using computer chip but SMT transistors, inductors, capacitors, resistors, and may be a diode or two. All mounted on a single sided circuit board.

The coil's transformer has a turns ratio 1 to 18 approximately.

Richard Milhous

Threads
If you're not getting spark, measuring resistance can confirm (but not completely rule out) the coil as a problem.

I thought the OP already tried multiple spark plugs???

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you're not getting spark, measuring resistance can confirm (but not completely rule out) the coil as a problem.

I thought the OP already tried multiple spark plugs???
From what I've read, OP ignores suggestions and does his own thing.

MrGbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
From what I've read, OP ignores suggestions and does his own thing.
I did actually try 2 different spark plugs earlier, sorry i forgot to mention that. I thought 2 spark plugs couldn't be defective but they were.

Richard Milhous

Threads
Two spark plugs were not defective, unless you pulled them both from a scrapyard. Test procedure, maybe.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
The coil I bought was from Mr. Bezos website. It's description is "OuyFilters OxoxO Ignition Coil Compatible with 593872 799582 798534 Compatible with Briggs & Stratton 08P500 08P600 093J02 09P600 09P700". I borrowed a multi meter from my neighbour (I really need to get one of these) and tested both the new and the old coil. With the multi meter set @ 20k Ohms the original coil is coming back with a reading of around 8.87 so there was nothing wrong with it :rolleyes: Same with the new coil too.
I detemined no spark by taking the plug out, plugging it back into the HT lead and leaning it against the block whilst I had the wife pull the cord.
iF IT HAS A METAL SHIELD ON THE PLUG WIRE CAP, THE INSULATOR IN IT CAN CRACK AND THE THE SPARK JUMPS TO THE METAL SHIELD AND IS CONNECTED TO THE BASE OF THE PLUG AND NEVER GETTING TO THE GAP. tHEN YOU PULL OFF THE CAP AND CHECK THE SPARK WHEN THE METAL SHEILD CANNOT GROUND THE SPARK SO THINGS PASS THE TEST, THAT IS UNTILL YOU PUT THE CAP BACK ON THE GROUND BODY OF THE PLUG.

Richard Milhous

Threads
iF IT HAS A METAL SHIELD ON THE PLUG WIRE CAP, THE INSULATOR IN IT CAN CRACK AND THE THE SPARK JUMPS TO THE METAL SHIELD AND IS CONNECTED TO THE BASE OF THE PLUG AND NEVER GETTING TO THE GAP. tHEN YOU PULL OFF THE CAP AND CHECK THE SPARK WHEN THE METAL SHEILD CANNOT GROUND THE SPARK SO THINGS PASS THE TEST, THAT IS UNTILL YOU PUT THE CAP BACK ON THE GROUND BODY OF THE PLUG.
I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE THAT CAN YOU POST A PIC?

MrGbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I managed to sort it out. contaminated fuel. One of my younger kids thought water went into the fuel tank ?‍♂️ I stripped and emptied the carb, emptied and refilled the fuel tank. Now it runs like a dream again.

Thank you all for your help.