Ignition Switch Key

earthworm

Threads
The key is missing , of course ... NEVER buy an automobile in this state..
But, with the 4212 Simplicity, a small screwdriver suffices for now .. What I wonder is this .. What other keys work ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Im betting any lawn mower key will work. I have the one I'm posting and the other key works too.

Attachments

• lawn mower key.jpg
    lawn mower key.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 5

earthworm

Threads
Thanks, Chuck .. About what I thought . Now , on to the seat.

earthworm

Threads
OK
With the screwdriver (in the ignition) to engage the starter - nothing
With the seat sensor bridged - nothing
With the ignition off and the seat sensor still bridged AND the two large terminals on the solenoid bridged ... she starts right up !! and the transmission was in reverse (more or less) !!
And she continues to run even after I remove the seat sensor bridge and I disconnect the battery negative !
More work, more testing ..

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say one key fits about 95% of all mowers. You should be able to buy one from most any dealer. A screwdriver doesn't work, you need the key. After you get a key try it again. The reason removing the negative battery cable wouldn't shut down your mower is the negative power side is the part that turns your mower off. This is the reason you will need a key unless you know how the electrical part of the mower works.

Gearjammer

Threads
OK
With the screwdriver (in the ignition) to engage the starter - nothing
With the seat sensor bridged - nothing
With the ignition off and the seat sensor still bridged AND the two large terminals on the solenoid bridged ... she starts right up !! and the transmission was in reverse (more or less) !!
And she continues to run even after I remove the seat sensor bridge and I disconnect the battery negative !
More work, more testing ..

Jumping the solenoid bypasses all the safety switches that won't let the solenoid engage the starter until the seat switch, the mower engaged switch, the reverse safety switch are all OK. Jumping the solenoid is the same as running a hot wire to the starter. Use a test light to chase down the reason you can't get fire to the starter. Good luck. Gearjammer