IGNITION COILS

Bazzer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Technical specification on impedance on likely ignition coils fitted to Briggs and Stratton Engine model SP150

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs doesn't supply electrical information for their coils, and certain test meters can actually damage the coil. The normal procedure is unplug the kill wire from the module with a known good plug and and crank the engine no spark replace the ignition module/coil

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Technical specification on impedance on likely ignition coils fitted to Briggs and Stratton Engine model SP150

To be clear, impedance is measured in AC circuits only and at a certain frequency. You meant to say resistance. Just bored at work.....

Get an inline spark tester. They are 5 bucks at Harbor Freight. Unless you are making some podcast or library book and need the value for your project?

slomo

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I go by the crank engine, sparky or no sparky, diagnosis strategy....

Bazzer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you guys I'll go down the practical rout and do what you have all suggested.
For interest, I watched a guy on Utube way back showing the viewer how to electrically test the primary and secondary coils using his multimeter. He referred to a general Resistance chart specifying range values to establish whether the coils resistance is within specification. From which the coil conditions can be assessed i.e. Passable, workable but has a short term life, and total failure.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you guys I'll go down the practical rout and do what you have all suggested.
For interest, I watched a guy on Utube way back showing the viewer how to electrically test the primary and secondary coils using his multimeter. He referred to a general Resistance chart specifying range values to establish whether the coils resistance is within specification. From which the coil conditions can be assessed i.e. Passable, workable but has a short term life, and total failure.
Kohler and Honda both have resistance reading for their modules, I am not sure about all but some.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Modern internal electronic controlled coil by Briggs can't reliably be tested by ohm meter as the electronic module can't be fully tested. Points and ignitor controlled coils can be tested. Here is paper that AVB wrote up on the newer Briggs coils.

Brigg New Magnetron Coils